Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default ideas/help/insight.......Cast iron pump

I work at a waste water treatment plant and one of our pumps devoloped a pin hole in the cast housing and is leaking. I tried a cast rod but its paper thin and just opened up on contact and is now the size of a dime. Im thinking tomorrow to grab the mig gun with stainless wire and try to put a band-aid on it until we can rebuild it. any ideas or comments would be much appreciated. its up underneath and is dirty and i can even fit a grinder where it is..

Thanks in advance
    Bill

Default ideas/help/insight.......Cast iron pump

If could get clean, Tig with Ni-rod or even SS rod would work in a pinch.
    Otherwise cut small patch just little bigger than hole out of 3/16 steel and I'd try Ni-rod and stick weld patch over hole.

Could you braze-weld a patch over top of the hole with an O/A torch?

I just braze-welded a broken cast-iron C-clamp and it seems pretty darn strong!

I like to use silicon bronze with tig. Works great as long as you don't have to drill where u used it

thanks so far to everyone

ok heres how it went...this pump is 40ft underground with no power there so tig was out of question...i ran 2 extension cords to myMiller Multimatic 200 Auto-Set Elite Welder

using stainless wire and a 90% helium 7.5% argon and 2.5% carbon mix it welded smooth even was in overhead position...thx for the help