Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Miller bobcat /p216

Hey good morning anyone could assist me would be great.
    have a miller bobcat gasoline onan engine but I am not getting any spark to the plugs so far I check the coil and is ok any other thing that I can do ? And by the way it a two cylinder engine.model#p216-1/11519H.....s/n #L007189227 thanks in advance

The most likely thing to check -

There is an oil level switch that cuts off the ignition if the oil level is low. Check the oil level and be sure it's full. If it is, then it the level switch might be bad. Find it in your manual and temporarily jumper it out to see if the motor will start without it.
    If it does, don't leave the jumper on, replace the switch. If you don't you may someday destroy the engine when the oil level goes low.

I'll try to find my manual and look for other possible causes, but my next reply won't likely be today. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Hey good morning anyone could assist me would be great.
    have a miller bobcat gasoline onan engine but I am not getting any spark to the plugs so far I check the coil and is ok any other thing that I can do ? And by the way it a two cylinder engine.model#p216-1/11519H.....s/n #L007189227 thanks in advance
    Here is a link to download the service manual for that engine...

it is a Free PDF download from Onan...

http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/manuals/965-0762.pdf

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Miller babcat/.'

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyL View Post
    The most likely thing to check -

There is an oil level switch that cuts off the ignition if the oil level is low. Check the oil level and be sure it's full. If it is, then it the level switch might be bad. Find it in your manual and temporarily jumper it out to see if the motor will start without it.
    If it does, don't leave the jumper on, replace the switch. If you don't you may someday destroy the engine when the oil level goes low.

I'll try to find my manual and look for other possible causes, but my next reply won't likely be today. Maybe someone else will be able to help.

Charley
    Thanks I will try that and let you know .

Actually it's just an oil pressure switch that opens with no oil pressure that cuts off power to the coil to save the engine in the event it runs low/out of oil. The switch is located under the air cowling near the oil filter.

If the OP switch is OK then a likely cause is a bad ignition module that you can test based on the procedure in section 8 of the manual that H80N posted the link to.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Actually it's just an oil pressure switch that opens with no oil pressure that cuts off power to the coil to save the engine in the event it runs low/out of oil. The switch is located under the air cowling near the oil filter.

If the OP switch is OK then a likely cause is a bad ignition module that you can test based on the procedure in section 8 of the manual that H80N posted the link to.
    Thanks I check it out ..let you know the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Thanks I check it out ..let you know the results.
    Hey I want to confirm that the problem was the oil unit did what you say and it work thanks again ....the machine needed and oil change and a good service.