Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Problem with Syncrowave 200

My first post here...I hate that it's about a problem, but here goes.

I have a Sycrowave 200 that I bought a little over a year ago to do some aluminum tig welding projects. I bought the welder used but it looked like it had just come out of the box. I have used it off and on since that time with no problems other than my skill level. The problem that I am having now is that I cannot establish an arc unless I actually touch the tungsten to the work piece. It had been working fine two days ago. But when I set it up and tried to do some welding on Friday I was having this problem right off the bat.

I have checked the connections on the torch and ground leads at both ends, I checked the gap on the points inside and they are right at 0.008, I checked the ground on the plug and the circuit ground all the way back to the grounding rod on the service entrance. I checked inside the unit and didn't find any loose connections. I have been using it for AC tig welding of aluminum pipe using 100% argon sheild gas and "green" tugsten electrodes.

Any suggestions before I haul it 70 mile to the nearest Miller Service location?

Thanks
    Alan

Sharpen a red tungsten and pop it in the torch. I bet the problem goes away.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

I'll try a different tungsten, but the AC TIG will just wind up balling it on the end. It has worked fine with the green and orange up until this point.

If all else fails, try touching the tungsten to the workpiece before you hit the pedal, to equalize the voltage between the two. Then pull the tungsten away from the workpiece and hit the pedal. This sometimes seems to work for me with DC tig when arc starting starts to get finicky for some reason.