Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: F250 Stacks

Default F250 Stacks

A young man came by yesterday talking about his F250. Said it was in the shop but wanted me to weld his stacks back on when he got it out.

Seems he cut them off with a sawzall to let the exhaust vent out towards the sides of the truck and wants them put back on.

I haven't seen it so I don't know what the real deal is. But looking at photos online this looks like an under the truck job. I don't see how they can be removed for bench welding then reinstalled through the bed.

Maybe there is a 90 clamped at the bottom or something?
    Anyway, I don't like the idea of trying purge that or tig welding over the top of a pipe against a floorboard. I recken its stainless.

Any F250 guys out there that can give advice?

You'll just have to look at it & decide. Everyone is different depending on who installed it. Lots of home installs by me are butchered. It could be chrome plated steel also. Maybe use a band clamp, tighten & then tack the clamp to each pc. so it can't rotate?

Or buy a sleeve & weld it on to one side so it slips over the other & then clamp it?
    Last edited by MMW; 08-19-2013 at 04:18 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Explain to him that kind of work is best done by experts. In this case it would be muffler shops.

Chances are the reason he asked you is he thinks you will be cheaper than the muffler shop. Dumb mistake on his part, right?

He was a friend of my GF's son several years ago when her son lived with us.

So yea, maybe looking for a deal. He might get a deal if its chrome plated steel and I can whip out the 211 on it.

Been wanting to run that machine again. It has only seen 4 jobs in the 6 months I've had it not counting my projects.

Like MMW states, just have to wait and see I guess and the sleeve will probably be needed due to the way it was cut off.

Default F250 Stacks

I am interested as to why he removed the stacks in the first place. I have stacks on my F350 that I installed years ago. I bought a kit on the Internet but can't remember the site. Mine consists of a offset y pipe that bolts to the bed and the exhaust enters from passenger side through bed. I had to extend the 4" pipe and install a included flex connection to the y pipe. The stacks slip on the y and get clamped them anchored to the sides of the bed. If you get a chance post some pictures. Let us know what happens.

The band clamp would be the easiest way to go, here's what were talking about.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ry...FUhgMgodWDkAcg
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by shortarc View Post
    The band clamp would be the easiest way to go, here's what were talking about.

http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ry...FUhgMgodWDkAcg
    Those work good. Many moons ago, the exhaust in the '69 Freightliner I was driving developed a leak. I used a coffee can and bailing wire to get to a place where I could get one of those band clamps. Kept me on the road until a good opportunity arose to replace the exhaust. Also added a muffler to keep the authorities in Idaho happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas113 View Post
    I am interested as to why he removed the stacks in the first place. I have stacks on my F350 that I installed years ago. I bought a kit on the Internet but can't remember the site. Mine consists of a offset y pipe that bolts to the bed and the exhaust enters from passenger side through bed. I had to extend the 4" pipe and install a included flex connection to the y pipe. The stacks slip on the y and get clamped them anchored to the sides of the bed. If you get a chance post some pictures. Let us know what happens.
    That looks like one stout clamp. good to know about.

I have no idea why he would cut off the stacks and its been a week and I have not heard back from him. Go figure. Then again I put huge azz mud tires on the back of my moms 72 Chevy.

Seems like people like to ask about work and doing things but they don't show up.

Hardrock40 wrote "Seems like people like to ask about work and doing things but they don't show up."

It happens & you just learn to ignore it. You learn to "read" people & get a feel if you should even bother calling them back. Of course if you have nothing else to do that's one thing but if your working steady then it doesn't hurt if you lose a job now & then.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24