Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Millermatic 140 with auto set

Hey im only 3 years into welding and work at a company that manufactures industrial aluminum a.c. stands. At work I use a millermatic 251 with spool gun and weld usualy 1/8 aluminum tubing and I-beam.

My side hobby is saltwater fish tanks so i know a number or side jobs involving fabricating standd and light racks ect.

I found an almost brand new millermatic 140 with autoset and a miller spoolmate 100 can i weld 1/8 aluminum and 1/8 steel without problem?

I want the machine to run on 110/120

Any input will help

Thanks guys!!

Pretty hard to burn the wire with one that small. I use a small one like that every once in a while pretty hard to do. Save your money for what you have been using.

Thanks man i really dont want to spend the cash just to find out its too small

How big og a generator would i need for a 251 or 252?

The manual for the MM 252 shows that when operated on 230 V, it requires a minimum of 46 amps and would need a 50 amp circuit breaker with appropriate-sized wiring.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Your 120v requirement limits your choices

My Passport plus will weld 1/8" AL on a 20amp 120v circuit

I haven't tried the MM211 on 120v

Your question about the generator suggests you don't have access to 240v at home for some reason
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I don't do aluminum but have seen posts using the Miller 211 with spool gun. This may be the right machine for you reviewing the specs on it. It is 110/220 volts and the rebate is current until end of August.

http://www.millerwelds.com/landing/build-with-blue/ REBATE INFO

Quote Originally Posted by 120reefermadnes View Post
    Hey im only 3 years into welding and work at a company that manufactures industrial aluminum a.c. stands. At work I use a millermatic 251 with spool gun and weld usualy 1/8 aluminum tubing and I-beam.

My side hobby is saltwater fish tanks so i know a number or side jobs involving fabricating standd and light racks ect.

I found an almost brand new millermatic 140 with autoset and a miller spoolmate 100 can i weld 1/8 aluminum and 1/8 steel without problem?

I want the machine to run on 110/120

Any input will help

Thanks guys!!
    First, I agree with others regarding getting a more powerful machine if you can swing it. I have a MM140, I love it --- but I do know that it's limited and don't try things beyond where it can go.

Second, it will do 1/8 steel no problem. I've never tried AL, but my impression of the other posts on the subject over the years is that its aluminum capabilities are at best limited.

Third, the MM140 is a 110/120 machine. Just make sure that the circuit you plug into has 20A or so capacity and that you're not running other big current hogs on the same circuit (unless you like repeated trips to the circuit breakers :-)

Finally, the machine itself is a good machine _within_ _its_ _limitations_ and as far as I can tell, none of its limitations are surprises.

Frank

So would the 211 be a better choice?

I was also looking at the multimatic 200 because I would also be able to tig and stick weld if neccesary.

What do you guys with all the expieriance think?

What size generator(watts) do you guys use to run a MM211