Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default What do you all think of welding simulators?

Wow, an 18 year old summer intern really knows alot and is debating his points with alot of emotion and knowledge. Knowledge which comes with real world experience. I'm not here to give a ****e either way but I feel as if you are one of the companies marketers trolling for feedback posing as an intern. And with that gut feeling I will say only, Goodluck "Virtual Welders of the future".
    Also, you don't have to be old to be skeptical. I'm young and this sounds fishy. As always, have a nice day.

well as you said, actually welding involves the sparks, toxic gas, darkness, heat, and just an all around uncomfortable environment. So a lot of people might be put off by that and never give welding a chance. The simulator removes the hazardous and potentially scary environment so people can get accustomed to the basics and feel comfortable before diving right in. Its not meant to replace real practice, but just to supplement it. Just like how taking steroids doesn't automatically make you stronger, you have to train and workout to gain the benefits. They should be complimentary activities. I can't really prove to you the cost effectiveness, but there definitely is a significant margin of savings, or else people wouldn't have started buying them. Its not on the same magnitude as airplane fuel consumption, but then again, community colleges and welding schools don't have nearly the same budget as big airlines and/or the military.

Sorry for the double post, but haha I'm glad that you think I sound intelligent for an 18 year old. I've been working at 123certification for 5 weeks now and I've become friends with some of the employees. Of course they are looking for feedback, I hope I haven't been misleading, but I never would have volunteered to do this if I didn't believe the simulators have potential. They still have a ways to go before they reach that potential but yea. It makes sense to be skeptical of new things for sale, but I just want to understand why people are this way. The simulator definitely isn't for everyone, but I think if a company or college wants to find and train new welders quickly and efficiently, it might be appropriate for them. There is nothing wrong with being skeptical, and I think you'd have to see the simulators to believe it, but I think it would also be reasonable to at least give them a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry@123certification View Post
    Sorry for the double post, but haha I'm glad that you think I sound intelligent for an 18 year old. I've been working at 123certification for 5 weeks now and I've become friends with some of the employees. Of course they are looking for feedback, I hope I haven't been misleading, but I never would have volunteered to do this if I didn't believe the simulators have potential. They still have a ways to go before they reach that potential but yea. It makes sense to be skeptical of new things for sale, but I just want to understand why people are this way. The simulator definitely isn't for everyone, but I think if a company or college wants to find and train new welders quickly and efficiently, it might be appropriate for them. There is nothing wrong with being skeptical, and I think you'd have to see the simulators to believe it, but I think it would also be reasonable to at least give them a chance.
    Can see it will fall far short in the REALITY dept....

what with not having all those sparks smoke fumes and stuff...

they are part of the real experience after all..

and part of the sight and feel that a welder learns in judging your bead.. etc...

if somebody is put off by that... they are probably unsuited to that type of work..

The environment should be as sensation rich as possible...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Am I correct in assuming that you do not weld yourself???

think if you spent enough hours under the hood that you would see this all in a different light...

if you are in the L.A. area you should take Terry's offer (Shovelon)

I believe you would be richer for the experience...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-15-2013 at 06:26 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I have actually used one of the Lincoln virtual welders and I will say that it needs ALOT of improvement. Primarily on the lag time between the actual movement of the hand and the movement in the viewscreen. The colors are also an area that needs room for improvement. They were not even close to the actual welding arc. And last, it needs much improvement in the area of looking realistic. It looked like a cheap video game.
    And at $50,000 a shot, you can buy a whole lotta REAL machine and consumables for that.
    At this point I am going to have to say it is not a worthwile investment.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

[/QUOTE]The environment should be as sensation rich as possible...[/QUOTE]

Like that, that's exactly what I'm sayin. Tryin to replicate a piece of slag goin down your boot or neck while tryin to finish the last 3 inches of your 6g root pass. ESPECIALLY for a job testing.

You may save money with the simulator, but you sure as **** won't in this decade, or next, and maybe not even the next. For this to accurate enough to be worth a darn, it would need to be FAR more sophisticated than a welder. Steel scrap is much cheaper than some crazy new simulator.

I'm not trying to bash or be negative, I just really see no up side. There is a reason that automobile simulators are not used for driver training on a large scale....real cars are much cheaper and the inherent risk is relatively low. Same situation with welding in my opinion. The reference to airplane simulators is on a different playing field and doesn't apply here. Either way I like your replies, good luck with your company. Sounds like you have found something your interested in.

Default How does it work?

So tell us, is it like measure a change in magnetic field between real electrode to tell the distance to the work piece? Real shape sensors to emulate joints? How good can this be?

Nothing is a better teacher than actual hands on experience and/or help from those with a lot of actual hands on experience when guidance is needed.

Until that simulator can actually produce a "real life" weld all by itself under a variety of circumstances it won't be worth a thing as a teaching tool. It will be nothing more than a gimmick.

Pitty the welding program that decides to use them in place of real welding machines and materials.

By the way you don't get your pilot license when you are done with simulator training. That only comes after you pass all the hands on real life flying. And as others have stated, planes are expensive so crashing on the 1st day out isn't something people want to do so a simulator kinda makes sense in that light. In otherwords trying it out on the simulator until you can get the simulator down, then try the plane.

As far as welding goes.... for around 45 bucks you can buy a 20 foot piece of brand spanking new 3 x 1/4 steel flat bar and get a least 10 to 12 decent size practice coupons out of it and get real life welding practice on them.

But then again from the sounds of it Henry you already have your mind made up that it is a good thing. So good luck with that.