Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Henry..

you guys are in Montreal??

and your E-simulations are Aluminum welding??

boy you guys have taken quite a challenge..

http://www.123arc.com/en/eduwelding_plus.htm

interesting stuff...

I went to college in Vermont (UVM, Burlington) in the early 70's and went to Montreal quite often... a beautiful city with great people...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-15-2013 at 08:23 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

What if while someone is in the simulator, 15 other people crowd around him/her with lit cigarrettes and continuously poke the student? Maybe throw one or two cigs down the shirt?

Default What do you all think of welding simulators?

^^^ lol

Maybe some sparklers

Of course I'm not a pro, but as a hobby welder who is paying for all my gas, consumables, scrap, machines, electricity, etc. out of my pocket I can see where a simulator would make sense.

It would have to be affordable, and as already pointed out, pretty realistic, but there is a lot of potential. I considered once whether you could have a WII game for welding. It would be cost effective, readily available, and using the remote hand controllers would simulate torch/stinger control.

Why don't you post some links to your website, maybe there is a demo or something we could try?
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL
    http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henry@123certification View Post

What do you guys think about this? Would you consider trying it yourself? Recommending it to new students?
    If it looks, smells, sounds, and feels like real welding with justifiable savings then sure, I would love to try it and use it to train future employees.
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 08-16-2013 at 09:16 AM.

It sounds to me like you should stick to sales rather than welding. If someone is put off by the danger, sparks, noxious fumes, flying slag and whatnot I would say stay in school. I like many others got into welding as a byproduct of something else. I love to build, fabricate and race off road. To do these types of things I needed to weld. Not to mention when I was young I loved watching my dad and others weld thinking it was just too cool for words. Someone who is weary of those dangers would probably not enjoy it especially as a profession. How would a sim help if in the end they were placed in an environment with all those "scary" things. This will probably be a long running thread by the looks of it. Keep your hoods down and your rods dry guys and as always "have nice day"

I am about 4 months into a year long welding course at the local VoTech (thanks to Uncle Sam's VRAP program). When I first got into the class there was a brand new Lincoln virtual welding machine. Several of the newest students had used it and felt it had helped them to get used to the necessary hand movements to weld with 6010 and 7018. It helped with arc length, drag angle, the sound made when welding properly, etc. The instructors liked what they saw. When the students went on an actual welder for the first time they felt pretty confident. Of course, it's much different than the simulator but they felt they did better than if they had just started welding. And if you can save a whole bunch of electrodes and several feet of 3/8 x 6" steel with each new student, eventually (with today's prices) you will probably break even and maybe get ahead. But!! We had several instances where someone was doing a test and the computer rebooted. Lincoln was out several times and it was decided that the simulator needed to go into a 'clean room' where it was isolated from all of our inverter machines..... Well, to do that you add a whole lot to the initial $50K investment and the instructors called the local supplier they had bought the machine through and told them to come and get it. They traded that for $50K of new equipment, supplies, and consumables.

Actually I think we should all still live in caves and forge metal with rock hammers.

There's just no way like the old ways you know.

I heard someone wanted to use fire but we don't allow that stuff here in Rock Hammer Local #35.

We don't need no stinking progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry@123certification View Post
    Hi, my name is Henry, and I've been a summer intern at a cool company called 123certification Inc. They currently design and sell welding simulators.

What do you guys think about this? Would you consider trying it yourself? Recommending it to new students?
    Rather than just talking about it why don't you guys put up some YouTubes and, you know, run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it? I enjoy watching welding videos of both good and bad welders in which the sights and sounds of the weld pool are presented as the welder narrates. It would be interesting to see how the simulator compares.

Learning welding entails making mistakes that you pay for. For example, you cut your pieces, grind them, ire brush them, clamp them, check if they are square, tack them, check if they are square, turn it over, tack, check, wire brush, run a bead, etc. Then when you blow a hole in it or otherwise ruin it beyond repair you say, "Dang! What did I do? Now I have to redo it!" To me that is what real welding is all about. It's like doing 20 or 50 push ups every time you screw up until you master it or at least learn how to fix the error. Hence, I say forget the simulator. Just get instruction and get in there and start burning steel.