Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Proper Shutdown Procedure for Syncrowave and MM.

I don't ever leave the gas valves open when I am done welding for the day. I shut the cylinder valves and then bleed the gas off. On my Syncrowave 200, it's just a matter of turning the machine on and depressing the foot pedal until the small amount of gas left in the system bleeds down.

The Millermatic 252 is another issue, however. When you close the valve on that one, if you bleed the meter down, you will feed a couple of feet of wire. You could run the wire speed control down I guess, but you would still get some wire.

I guess I could open the cover and loosen the rollers and wind the wire back in. I don't like to waste the wire if I can avoid it and I don't leave the gas on. I was wondering what others do. What procedure is best?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Why do you need to bleed them down? They will probably leak down by themselves. Besides if they leak down too fast you have a problem. A good morning is when I come in and find the pressures exactly the same as I left the day before.

My take is the more you cycle the gauges, hoses, and valves, the faster they wear out.

Course I could be all wrong. Anyone?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Since I work alone all of the time, I'm in the habit of shutting every thing off when I leave the shop. I know a machinist friend who also welds and he just closes the cylinder and leaves the line unbled. He's been doing that for years but I haven't done that yet. He says that it hasn't hurt anything in all of the time that he's been doing it that way.

The manual is silent on this issue. I'm open to suggestions however.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252

I just shut off the tanks.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    I just shut off the tanks.
    Me too, and unplug the welder or throw the breaker.

What is bleeding the argon supposed to accomplish or prevent?

No Habla Bleed Gas........... never have.... not likely to start...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default Proper Shutdown Procedure for Syncrowave and MM.

I just shut valves. Turn off welders & through breakers. If hv a Bad storm coming I will unplug welders & plasma at wall.

Quote Originally Posted by h80n View Post
    no habla bleed gas.....:d...... Never have.... Not likely to start...
    ok, lol.
    Last edited by Synchroman; 08-15-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252

Default Don't let my wife see this

She'll start making me do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synchroman View Post
    ... I'm open to suggestions however.
    I have a Syncrowave 350 that is mobile that we do bleed the gas before transporting the unit. I have had issues with gauge needles breaking and since we started to bleed off the gauges before transporting not another issue since.