Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default millermatic 200 white face contactor clicking

I have had this mm 220 white face for about 10 years with never a problem till now. I was welding on high range with the selector switch on 1 and the splatter shorted out in the nozzle to the tip and blew the breaker. I reset the breaker and when I press the trigger the contactor just clicks real fast and blows the breaker. I called Miller service line and the rep told me it was the contactor. I replaced the contactor and it still does the same thing and is really burning up the contactor contacts. If I try to hold the contactor in when pulling the trigger it sounds like a dead short. Welder sounds like it straining. Any ideas thanks.

Pull off the gun, then jump the two trigger terminals and see if it still does it.

One or more shorted diode(s) in the weld output rectifier. Check them all and it's always a good idea to replace all when any one goes.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    One or more shorted diode(s) in the weld output rectifier. Check them all and it's always a good idea to replace all when any one goes.
    Thanks for the tip! I will try tonight after work and let you know what happens.

Where is the weld out rectifier? Thx

in a circle around the fan motor

I tried a brand new gun and the conactor is still clickibg. Is there a way to test the welding outlet rectifier or just buy a new one. Thx

Hope you needed a new gun to begin with.

Here's a Youtube video on testing the stud style diodes that you'll find in your MM200 output rectifier.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhafKFBVYQI
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110