Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Long Electrode On Miller 211

Hey there everyone! My first post and this is my first welding machine, YAYY!!!
    It's quite interesting since i'm just kind of winging it and learning from trial and error.... my question is, it seems like after I start my bead that I'm getting too long of a electrode lead from the gun (i'm starting with about .25" hanging out and within a few seconds it's well over an inch) and when I stop my bead i've got like almost 2" hanging out and I have to clip it off after each bead. is this normal? I'm running the Autoset on 1/8" mild steel stock. Thanks!!!

Default I have to ask...

Why are you pulling away from your puddle?
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Sounds like maybe the wire speed is too high for your voltage setting.

Try an "autoset" on practice material - it will probably be too hot for your normal work, tends to be on hot side but it should eliminate your sickout problem.
    Roger Troue

Retired since 2004

Miller 211
    Miller 200 Syncro
    Miller 375 Extreme

Might be too far away with the tip of the gun to the work
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Yea it sounds like you are moving away from the weld, or not moving the torch along the work and just rotating it instead to move down. You need to maintain the same gun angle and stick out.

Do a row of lil cursive e's, over and over and over and over and over all along your joint while keeping your gun in there. Don't do a premature pullout whilst welding. ;-)

Haha that's good Precision. The gun needs to travel as you run a bead. If you don't the angle of the gun changes until you cannot weld any further and have undesirable outcome with the weld. Get comfortable is the best place to start. Grab your gun and do a dry run to see if you are positioned comfortably enough to run the entire bead without changing gun angle and stick out. Congrats on your first welder and willing to learn the right way "real life conditions" unlike a simulation. Read the simulation post and you will see what I mean. Good luck to you and have fun as go.

Texas brought up a real good point. Comfort is key, especially when learning. Rest your stabilizing hand on something so your not just floating in space. Only run beads as long as you can reach while keeping the stabilizing hand on its rest. It is much harder to do a long bead because you will have to "float" the whole thing. When I was first learning, I would hold the gooseneck with my left finger tips, while testing it on something convent, then hold the gun like a pistol with my right. By holding close to the tip of the torch I had much better control, but it gets pretty hot on the back of that hand.

Yeah guys, the stabilizing hand/arm can't be stressed enuf. I always does a few"dry" runs while I'm propped and make sure I am comfortable before I strike an arc.