Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default grinding out a curve on square or round bar.

Is there any machine that would make grinding out a curve in order to hold round bar any easier/quicker?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try a hole saw in a drill press easy and cheap

^^
    Hole saw in a good drill press

Edit- if you are only doing set ups like in yer pic then a hole saw in a DP but for any angles you'll need a Tube Notcher

http://www.jd2.com/t-notchercomparison.aspx

You can Google or you tube notchers to see how they work.

Edit #2

You can also use your Chop saw on Tubing

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/shop-...-pictures.html
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Guys thanks very much, I just wouldn't have thought of the hole saw.

Those pipe Notchers look great.

I have the jd2 its pretty good. Had to mess with the alignment of the clamp when I first got it. It was little off center, but now it's good. Don't buy a cheap one or you will be fighting it

No more cheap stuff for me, I've found that out the hardway better to save and do it right. Thanks again for the info. I

Cool

Make a template from sheet metal to trace it then use a torch or plasma cutter. Or make a thicker template that you can just run the torch around or a plasma cutter. Have the radius figured out for either the torch or pc to have it cut exactly where you want the hole. Should only be a minute on each side and they should be perfect with no grinding if done right...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I don't have it yet, but this is on my list. Baileigh tube notcher TN 250

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/tube-notcher-tn-250

I've always just cut these out with a torch, dress up a bit with a grinder. Unless you are doing hundreds and thousands of these, I cannot understand spending stupid amounts of money to replicate the same cut, over and over again.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....