Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dirty Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    So the way I take it you are asking about donating your services to a good cause not just to anyone. Doing it as a way of getting your name/skills out there?

If that is the case don't do it just to get work because you might not get anything at all except the satisfaction of helping (which is great). You should also be disciplined to say no as needed. The more you do the more is expected of you. I'm not against it at all as my wife & I both log in hours as volunteers pretty regularly but learning how to say no & not feel guilty is hard.
    Good point.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Just another thought. You don't have to use your services to volunteer. You can volunteer as your business but do something else other than weld & still get your name out there. Ever see the roadside signs that say "this section of road kept litter free by xxxxxxxx company"? Many organizations hold fundraisers & list the company names that send volunteers who just help where ever is needed.

I don't think many places would want someone welding on something unless they are fully licensed & insured.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Exceptional points of view. The road side litter signs is genius. I can't remember how much is required to be kept up, I don't know the requirements yet. LOL

But again I am misleading with what I write.

My thoughts of the Sheriffs Office would be directed to the employees that work there. This may be bass akwards to what I should be thinking.

However the free work would go to them as individuals. I'm thinking small jobs that can be hand carried through the door and put on the table or trailer, lawn mower, simple things.
    I wasn't thinking about going to the LEC and working on the property there.

My intent was to help out with what ever repairs or projects the individual's may need that work for places like that.

Believe me I understand how Volunteers can be asked to go above and beyond what a volunteer should. I was in the Rescue Squad for a number of years. All volunteer. Then the county admin would ask the volunteers to volunteer for work that the county needed done that had nothing to do with Rescue.

Rescue helped people in need, vehicle wrecks mostly, medic assistance, water recovery and first responding. But climbing a fire tower and changing antennas etc. was some added BS I didn't think to highly of.

Maybe this is why I am leaning more to helping those who work there and not the establishment itself. I would but those jobs probably would require more out of pocket expense than I could keep up with.

Per every 100 employees, how many would actually need welding? Maybe 10 if that? But all 100 would know your name and know your asking to give them something.

If you went to the LEC to fix a railing I doubt many would even know who you were or how it came about unless you could stay with it for a long time, but the abuse would surly come.