Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirty Tactics

Hybrid View

Default Dirty Tactics

What do you think about Volunteering your work to get your name out there?

Is that dirty? Do you think it would be a good idea?

I googled it after I thought of it and it seems a common practice. Of course I did not find anything where a welding business was discussed.

There will be cost to weld for charities. But why not? there are cost for websites, cards and every other type of advertising out there.

I've never seen a discussion on this and just thought I would get it out there and see what others think about it.

On one hand it seems hippacritical (stupid spell check)
    and on the other hand it seems very practical and helpful.

I would have to consider this way more than this pop-up thought in my head before getting involved.

Anybody have experience here with it? or just thoughts on it?

It's done all the time.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Cool

I did it a few years ago. Got my name and picture in the paper. Didn't make a dime but it really didn't bother me. Always glad to help someone out...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Dirty Tactics

We have a non profit here that maintains the cleanliness of our local lake. They are really nice ppl and don't really get a lot of donations but do a great job. I offer them my services for whatever they need( within reason). They in turn put my name and number in their association monthly email and flyer that gets delivered to a of the association members whom own countless docks. Now I don't get every call but when I do they usually say how awesome it is that I do service for them. Advertising to that type of clientele is pretty darn expensive these days. I spend waaaay less in consumables and fuel. Just my $.2.

Don't feel dirty- Volunteers are hard to come by and even though you feel that you are only volunteering to get a payback, your help on whatever project they need still gets done and you might enjoy it and just volunteer to volunteer and you'll get work indirectly through Karma

Other part of the Giving aspect is that charity events also need sponsors and as mentioned, Sponsors, which could be you at whatever level you can contribute- do it for exposure and it usually helps a good cause. This would be buying ad space or donating time/labor/services and you get an ad or a brief mention in the copy.

All non profit donations are a write off.

It is networking also.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

The title of this post is poor. Sorry.

I am going to follow up on it locally and see what I can find out. As long as I could get out and help some people, that would be good enough.

I use up so much in consumables every week just welding scrap I might as well try and put some of it towards helping out somewhere.

Just starting to think about it today actually changed my whole reason for asking about it. It is something I should do, maybe it will help later on, maybe not but now that doesn't matter.

You guys are right, thanks for the reply's.

I put in maybe 1,000 hours and hundreds of $ over the span of five years helping our high school FIRST robotics team as a mentor. My kids were on the team, but there was another mentor who did it just because.

I had some great times with the kids and it was rewarding to see some go on to become engineers. I was in charge of the basic drive train platform. It always worked adequately and never had a breakdown. One year we received a Motorola Quality Award.
    Miller stuff:
    Dialarc 250 (1974)
    Syncrowave 250 (1992)
    Spot welder (Dayton badged)

USMCPOP, that would consume my life. I wouldn't be able to take myself away from a project like that.

I emailed Habitat For Humanity and let them know I would be willing to volunteer my services. No response just yet, it went out about 4am this morning.

I think I'll hit up the local Public Services Next. The Sheriffs Office,, Law Enforcement Center is one I would like to give back to. Great group of people.

They treat people with respect, unlike some agency's.

Default Dirty Tactics

We still hv all Volunteer Fire Depts. in our area. I normally donate my work or sometimes bill materials at cost & donate labor. Just did a Alm. Flag pole for them. It's a win win for everyone.
    Greg

So the way I take it you are asking about donating your services to a good cause not just to anyone. Doing it as a way of getting your name/skills out there?

If that is the case don't do it just to get work because you might not get anything at all except the satisfaction of helping (which is great). You should also be disciplined to say no as needed. The more you do the more is expected of you. I'm not against it at all as my wife & I both log in hours as volunteers pretty regularly but learning how to say no & not feel guilty is hard.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24