Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ac/dc alum weld

Default ac/dc alum weld

I have a lincoln tombstone ac/dc welder. What would be the best way for me to weld aluminum. I have an old airco 300 amp water cooled tig torch and a homemade water cooler I made from a bucket and pond pump. I been running on dc- under 180 amps with no overheating problems. Could I tig on dc+ without killing my pump or would the power backfired into the water causing problem? Or just aluminum stick it?

Dr. welding,

You could try scratch starting tig on AC but it would be easier to use DC and alum stick electrodes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Default ac/dc alum weld

You let me know how that works out?!?!

Theres no RELIABLE way to weld Aluminum with what you have.

Once you add on a high frequency box, you can try. You still won't have amp control though.

Learn from my mistakes. I tried the same thing with the same unit. In the end, it's cheaper to buy a dedicated ACDC tig welder. You will not gett good results.

As for stick welding Aluminum, try it on a test piece first. It's a hot, fast milky mess that burns through really fast and is hard to control.

Posting Permissions

• You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Non-static method PhpQuickProfiler::getMicroTime() should not be called statically in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/pqp/classes/Console.php on line 77

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 62

Welding Projects

Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in /mnt/stor3-wc1-dfw1/357822/357839/www.millerwelds.com/web/content/lib/footer.inc.php on line 137