Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Here's the blaster Texas, we better not use the word bo-mb, Obama's police will come and get us.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cy...Sand%20Blaster

isnt the machine still under warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    isnt the machine still under warranty?
    No it's a 2003 model. I think it's the heavy fiber spool that's at the heart of my problems.... could be the hole in the fiber spool isn't perfectly round and it's square cornering a bit as turns too. I'll check everything out and change the liner tomorrow. Something isn't right, It welds good until the sputtering starts. Seems to sputter on starts a lot that's why I'm thinking the weight of the wire could have something to do with it .

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    I would also check the ground cable. They can act that way if ur loosing good ground. I personally don't like the OEM ground clamps, I replace them with a good brass one even on a new Michine. That Michine should handle a 44 lb. spool with no problem.
    I would at least ck all ground connection nuts and grind area bare to connect ground cable.
    Just a thought. Greg
    Greg, I pretty much did what you're suggesting. thanks

Default Fixed stuttering and popping

If you have a 251 that stutters and pops on starts you can remove the # 8 or #79 wire (depending on your machine) from the contactor block and your problems will go away... at least mine did. My 2003 MM251 has never welded so nicely since I pulled the # 8 wire off the contactor. Thanks Miller for the Tip The #8 wire is the wire with the yellow marker on it.

http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/cy...y/MHS%20Remove
    Last edited by tackit; 08-12-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Default mm251 stutters and pops

I like that blaster. What kind of abrasive you using for the stated applications.

What is the purpose of the #8 or #79 wire? Is it something to remove only if it stutters and pops or something that can change characteristics of a good running 251.

Tex, the #8 or # 79 wire removes the hot start from the machine... It seems to me the machine is welding much better in all respects period.

I run Black beauty through the blaster. I use a 1/8 pipe for the nozzle instead of the ceramic 3/32? nozzle Texas Blasters sent me with their hose. It was to small of a hole. The black beauty would plug the hose at the tip with the valve just barely cracked. In order for the media to come out so little of it could be sent through the hose it was hopeless to get anything done.
    Last edited by tackit; 08-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Please clarify one thing for me. What exactly is hot start and its function.

This technology provides a smooth, spatter-free start. No pop-gun starts or spatter to clean up. It gives a temporary burst of energy on start up to help initiate the arc.