Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default mm251 stutters and pops

Could a mig gun cause a MM251 to weld, sputter and pop, weld, sputter and pop again? When it welds it welds good for a few inches. IT's stutters on starts too. The machine is like brand new, it's only had one 33 lb roll of solid wire through it. it's getting worse, I could deal with it before today, but today was the last draw.... it's almost 44 mag time.

Cool

I would try a new liner. Remove the tip and loosen the wire from the drive rollers and see if it pulls thru freely. And also check the 5/8" nut on the center of the spool and make sure it isn't tight. Mine has to be run almost off...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I would try a new liner. Remove the tip and loosen the wire from the drive rollers and see if it pulls thru freely. And also check the 5/8" nut on the center of the spool and make sure it isn't tight. Mine has to be run almost off...Bob
    Thank you Bob, I'll go over the machine tomorrow. I'm going to buy a new Bernard gun for it if it's not the machine's electrics, the Q3015AE8XM model. Do you use Bernard guns? Do you like them?

I agree with Bob. I would try a new liner, I highly recommend benard. They use "centerfire" tips I believe, they have no threads on them and work great
    Trailblazer 275DC
    eleite helment
    millermatic135&140
    375extreme plasma
    new set victor torches
    ingersolrand 185 compressor
    1 big f550w 8 4ft toolboxes full of tools
    o and the rest is too much to list lol
    im very blessed to have all of it paid for

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. Brashear View Post
    I agree with Bob. I would try a new liner, I highly recommend benard. They use "centerfire" tips I believe, they have no threads on them and work great
    Thanks Brasher for your commenting...

I just checked Lincolns website, I must have a 44 lb spool of their ER70S-6 on the machine because I don't see a 33 lb fiber spool of it offered. That's a lot of weight, could be it's to heavy for the machine. Tomorrow I'll put on a 10 or 12 lb ? roll and see if that helps. I'll post back here tomorrow the results.

Make sure the ground clamp is good. I wouldn't be buying a new gun till I figured out what was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Make sure the ground clamp is good. I wouldn't be buying a new gun till I figured out what was wrong.
    I put a new Linco 300 amp copper ground clamp on it this spring, buying the new gun is OK, I'm getting the machine fixed if it needs fixing, fixing it is cheaper than buying a new one ..... I need to buy a new sandblaster too, my homemade one is supposedly a bomb.
    Last edited by tackit; 08-11-2013 at 05:52 PM.

I would also check the ground cable. They can act that way if ur loosing good ground. I personally don't like the OEM ground clamps, I replace them with a good brass one even on a new Michine. That Michine should handle a 44 lb. spool with no problem.
    I would at least ck all ground connection nuts and grind area bare to connect ground cable.
    Just a thought. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gnforge View Post
    I would also check the ground cable. They can act that way if ur loosing good ground. I personally don't like the OEM ground clamps, I replace them with a good brass one even on a new Michine. That Michine should handle a 44 lb. spool with no problem.
    I would at least ck all ground connection nuts and grind area bare to connect ground cable.
    Just a thought. Greg
    Greg, I pretty much did what you're suggesting. thanks

I too like the Bernard guns for heavy use. Tackit I am interested in seeing some pictures of your "bomb" that you currently are blasting with. HaHa blasting and bomb used in the same sentence, wonder if that puts me on the "list". Seriously I would like to see how you built your sand blaster.