Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Manisoba:310567
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I'm surprised somebody hasn't already suggested an engine drive weld machine.

A bit more weight and price but you can open many more doors by going that route.
    Not to mention a miller or lincoln gas welder costs less than an equivalent Honda. Also to be noted is engine drive welders advertise continuous watts not peak watts like generators
    My bobcat says 11,000watt on the cover... but its something like 9500watt continuous

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    My bobcat says 11,000watt on the cover... but its something like 9500watt continuous
    Thanks Weldonwelding,
    For some reason I didn't realize that, Mine is the same and I was thinking they were stating 11,000 continuous but I guess it's not. Its Accu-Rated,,, LOL well crap.

From Miller:

Accu-Rated™– Not Inflated Generator Power

Miller’s Accu-Rated™ 11,000 watts (12,000 with EFI) of usable peak power is delivered for a minimum of 30 seconds. Accu-Rated means peak power is usable for maximum generator loads such as plasma cutting, Millermatic® MIG welders and motor starting. Accu-Rated peak power beats the competition’s very shortduration peak or surge power. Use your peak power, it’s more than a number.

Default What generator would be good for a mm200?

Tractor Supply had a Generac 7500(continuous 9350 peak) for $800 last month. That's way less than a good used bobcat with a 2 yr warranty. Guess the big question is are you gonna run it for 40+ hrs a week or bout 4. If you gonna work the thing then you need a bobcat.

Default What generator would be good for a mm200?

Lol guess I stand corrected on the rating. I just remember the older rangers like the 8 were advertised on continuous. When I bought my 305g I guess I didn't notice the peak rating and just the continuous.

Think we were talking REAL generators, not chinese junk. The generac lineup put out the crappiest of crappy power. Almost don't know where the sinewave is on one of these when its on a scope. good for RV's maybe,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Precision View Post
    Tractor Supply had a Generac 7500(continuous 9350 peak) for $800 last month. That's way less than a good used bobcat with a 2 yr warranty. Guess the big question is are you gonna run it for 40+ hrs a week or bout 4. If you gonna work the thing then you need a bobcat.
    A Generac 7500 cannot be compared to a Bobcat 225. Let me explain.

When people say "power", they usually mean "average power" whether they know it or not.

Watt = energy/sec or joules/sec, or J/s
    1 J/s = 1 W
    10 J/s = 10 W
    20 J/.5s + 0J.5s = 10W
    10 J/1ms = 10,000 W.

When Miller says 1100 0W they mean 11000Jx30/30s or 330000J/30s = 11000W. That is, 330000J averaged over 30 seconds.
    When Miller says 9500W continuous they mean 9500J/s which I take to mean a 100% duty cycle or for as long as you want.

In order to get average power you need to know the number of joules over a certain period of time. If the period of time is tiny, like a millisecond, 10000W has little, if any, practical value.

Now from the Generac spec sheet all is found is:

AC Rated Output Running Watts 7500
    AC Maximum Output Starting Watts 9375

What does "Running Watts" mean? Is the machine sprinting for 2 seconds, or is running a marathon?
    What does "Maximum Output Starting" mean? How long is "starting"? 1 second? 2 seconds?
    In short, the Generac spec doesn't say anything specific. It is vague. Hence, no comparison is possible.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Think we were talking REAL generators, not chinese junk. The generac lineup put out the crappiest of crappy power. Almost don't know where the sinewave is on one of these when its on a scope. good for RV's maybe,,,
    Cruizer

we have had generator questions in the past... I seem to remember some discussion of some of the less than "Pure Sinewave"... being dangerous to the welder... taking out boards etc...

I regularly run a Dyn 200DX off of a 1979 vintage 5kw Homelite... but I scoped that long before I did and it makes a very pretty sine...
    (genset purchased new)

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Yes the early homelite, and pretty much any unit that was built in the States, that had parts derived out of Japan had a true sinewave characteristic. These were built to last, and designed rather well.

If you look at the genertor, you'll likely find a bunch of Japanese symbols. Todays machines are simply put, crap. You get what you pay for and sometimes that doesn't work either. when I go to an auction, I buy up all the older generators, cause everyone thinks newer is better. I also get a kick out of buying a machine with 6 - 8K hours, while everyone else is buying he same age unit with 1 to 2 K hours at double the price....... hour meters do turn over ya know.....

Was curious...

I remember banter about some of the gensets eating welder electronics???

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

This reminds me, I am down to one working generator