Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Cleaning Soot/Discoloration From Tungsten

There's usually some discoloration on then end of the tungsten above the sharpened point after it's been contaminated during practice.

Is sharpening the tungsten enough or do I need to clear that discoloration as well?

If it must be cleared what's the best way to do that?

Was thinking of putting a clean fine wire brush on the other end of my bench grinder for that.

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    There's usually some discoloration on then end of the tungsten above the sharpened point after it's been contaminated during practice.

Is sharpening the tungsten enough or do I need to clear that discoloration as well?

Was thinking of putting a clean fine wire brush on the other end of my bench grinder for that.
    If I goof and DUNK the tungsten in the puddle...

I usually just break it off just above the contaminated area and regrind the tungsten....

It seems to be false economy to try and save some money on tungsten when the possibility of a contaminated weld will cost much more in the long run...

your bead is your signature.... and people will remember the crappy ones...
    (not to mention the failure danger of unsound welds)

Tungsten is pretty inexpensive in the great scheme of things..

my 2cents worth...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-09-2013 at 09:22 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

I usually scrub mine clean with SS wool or a SS wire wheel. If the discoloration doesn't come off, I chop it. But don't take my word as law, I'm a hobbiest. Ja

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post

I don't really bother with the discoloration, especially if I am just practicing.

If you touch the tip or dip it, you'll see the arc flare, that's it for me, I can't stand it. But just a quick grind / sharpen on the tip and the arc is right back like it should be. IMO this tell me that the discoloration above the tip is not a problem.

Like already stated, these aren't worth worrying about too much.

You probably have plenty of practice on re grinding them, most of us do, LOL

Sharpen a whole pack, both ends. This way when your practicing welding your not spending time cleaning tungstens. If you load it up, you'll have to break it off to use the other end as it wont go back into the torch or just grab another one.

If you find yourself dipping the tip repeatedly, have a look around. You may see your sitting in a fog of smoke and the area is not being ventilated properly.