Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Miller Matic 252 Slipping

I have a MM 252 with a 15 foot fairly new Bernard 300 gun. The wire seems to be slipping when it encounters resistance. I checked tension and for a moment tightened it all the way up with a little more success, but I do realize that is not the solution. In addition I removed the drive wheels and removed the gun then reinstalled them. Do you have any other suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Nick

I'm too new at this to be a lotta help (got my used 252 about a month ago) but the 252 can take a LOT of different rolls, etc - do you have the right combo for your wire? Steve

Cool

What size/kind of wire? I run a MM252 all day everyday with .045 gas flux core and i had problems almost everyday. Then i got to swapping a knurled roller for a smooth one and the problem went away. You can switch rollers to suit even though they are stamped for a specific size and wire type. Read it somewhere in a Miller manual...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Miller Matic 252 Slipping

Try 6-4 aligning drive rolls if you DO have the right combo

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230693j_mil.pdf

Even though it may be a fairly new gun, it could have a kinked liner. I've seen brand new guns that got kinked right off the bat. Easy enough to pull and check out if you determine it's not a drive roll issue.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Quote Originally Posted by BukitCase View Post
    I'm too new at this to be a lotta help (got my used 252 about a month ago) but the 252 can take a LOT of different rolls, etc - do you have the right combo for your wire? Steve
    Yes they are the correct size.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    What size/kind of wire? I run a MM252 all day everyday with .045 gas flux core and i had problems almost everyday. Then i got to swapping a knurled roller for a smooth one and the problem went away. You can switch rollers to suit even though they are stamped for a specific size and wire type. Read it somewhere in a Miller manual...Bob
    Hey Bob,
    I am running .035 solid wire with the .035 roller. I pulled them off and reinstalled them. I will check the manual.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ericher69 View Post
    Try 6-4 aligning drive rolls if you DO have the right combo

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o230693j_mil.pdf
    I will give it a shot in the AM.
    Thanks,
    Nick

Duane,
    I will check the liner.
    Thanks

Try loosening the tension on the spool itself, if it's too tight then that could cause your problem

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
    Try loosening the tension on the spool itself, if it's too tight then that could cause your problem
    Very true....remember, after getting the wire feed to be reliable the only thing that is truly important is that the reel not "over run" when the drive rolls stop pulling the wire, so set the friction (tension) on the reel as loose as you can without getting over run and birds nests!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.