Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

There are some great suggestions here. I've got the machine settings, heat, gas and everything else set up on my Syncrowave 200 to make a decent weld. The place where I have difficulty is keeping my welds even in a straight line. I like the idea off walking the cup, using support and using shorter sectons of wire. I've got to practice that.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Years ago I had a number of straight, long TIG welds to complete on a larger fabrication. I found I could reduce the fatigue by resting my torch hand on a ball bearing drawer slide. The slide was placed parallel to the weld and stacked with a block of wood to bring my hand into a comfortable position.
    The slide will keep your hand moving straight and parallel to the joint where you can turn your attention to making smooth movements.

I had one slide fitted with a magnet on each end which helped it to remain in position.

dpansier

I just happen to have some spare drawer slides like that. What a great idea!
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

I can do ok when its my weld but sometimes when its going out the door I can shake the whole freaking table. LOL

But really, if you'll add some movement to your technique it will override some tendency's to shake from trying to be so precise.

I started out with a death grip on the torch and cup walking now has me loosening up a good bit. So for me just practicing it for that is a bonus even if I never walk it on a real job.

I bet a hit off a doobie would work magic.
    I wouldn't know, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post

I bet a hit off a doobie would work magic.
    I wouldn't know, just saying.

You just had to go and bring this up didn't you? Won't work for me cause I'd just sit and stare at the nearest wall and giggle. :-)

Try to keep your drinking to a minimum and you will shake less, or if your like the guy that used to letter my trucks, We tried having him paint first thing in the morning and we had to wipe the striping off, Wait for the party store to open, buy him a 12 pack and we found him to be at his best between ( 2 to 4 beers )
    He was still okay up to about 6 or 7 and anything past 7 you would have to wait until morning again.
    __________________________________________________ _________________

Another thing you might want to try: Turn the machine off that your trying to weld on.
    I had to tig weld ethyle Glychol tubes on an incinerator that still had a portion off it running, I had to reach way back inside the bulk head with .045 wire which made it almost impossible to weld with the wire shaking all over the place.

So I agree cut you filler wire in half, I should have suggested that in my earlier post.

Default Who's Got The Shakes (Tig)

Ethyl Glycol as in antifreeze is dangerous stuff. Avoid the vapors.
    CDC Comments in part:

DESCRIPTION: Ethylene glycol is a useful industrial compound found in many consumer products, including automotive antifreeze, hydraulic brake fluids, some stamp pad inks, ballpoint pens, solvents, paints, plastics, films, and cosmetics; it also is used as a pharmaceutical vehicle. Ethylene glycol has a sweet taste and is often accidentally or intentionally ingested. Ethylene glycol is chemically broken down in the body into toxic compounds. It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system (CNS), then the heart, and finally the kidneys. Ingestion of sufficient amounts can be fatal. Ethylene glycol is odorless; odor does not provide any warning of inhalation exposure to hazardous concentrations.