Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who's Got The Shakes (Tig)

Anyone have techniques to offer to battle the shakes?

I'm just learning to Tig and managing the filler rod is a bit of a challenge. Hard to dip when the tip is running around like nat in tornado. :-)

I know practice and less coffee will help but thought there were probably others out there with similar issues and have found ways of getting the job done anyway.

I have to get past this one before I'll be able to feed rod through my fingers as I go. For now I'm just backing off like I'm at the end of the weld and letting the rod freeze in the pool, moving my hand and starting up again.

The biggest challenge right now is getting these 60+ year old hands to hold still.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by stickermigtigger View Post
    Anyone have techniques to offer to battle the shakes?

I'm just learning to Tig and managing the filler rod is a bit of a challenge. Hard to dip when the tip is running around like nat in tornado. :-)

I know practice and less coffee will help but thought there were probably others out there with similar issues and have found ways of getting the job done anyway.

I have to get past this one before I'll be able to feed rod through my fingers as I go. For now I'm just backing off like I'm at the end of the weld and letting the rod freeze in the pool, moving my hand and starting up again.

The biggest challenge right now is getting these 60+ year old hands to hold still.

Suggestions?
    over time you will develop techniques to brace your torch hand...

for many situations the easiest solution might be "Walking the Cup"

Here is a video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5NZNaLELA

Not to worry about 60+.... my hands are too... even the young guys struggle with this..
    Last edited by H80N; 08-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Go get a 2 x 4, a 4 x 4 and a 6 x 6 block of wood, cut them up in different lengths and keep them near your table.
    You can then rest your arms, wrist and hands on them while your welding, I also have blocks of steel to help brace and index the parts into location.

I'm lucky to have steady hands but I still use a block if one is available.

I hope this helps.

What they said about a prop, If your filler is shaking around, maybe hold it closer to the dipping end.

I think I have seen that vid and it may say a little about lay wire. If not look it up.

There are a ton of TIG welding videos on youtube...

you might find it useful to look at them... with particular attention to their torch handling... lots to be learned even from the poor ones...

TIG is more like a rythmic dance than a stiff movement...

you will find that rythm and it will get easier and easier...

I and as far as 60+.... I am a little past that myself...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-05-2013 at 06:00 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default Who's Got The Shakes (Tig)

You might try just laying the filler rod in your seam to keep steady and just push in as needed. As far as backing off & allowing rod to freeze in puddle to slide out of hand, I did that for years with gas welding and still catch myself doing it with Tig. Old habits hard to break but if it works who cares. And as far as the shakes, as long as u can get them in a rhythm it will make a fine looking weld. :-)

I have a section of 10" stainless pipe hanging in the vise all the time when the vise isn't needed.

I practice walking the cup up both sides. Most times I don't turn on the machine and when I do I don't add filler, just watch the arc and puddle.

Can't always weld like that (walking) but it makes a purdy weld when you can. Sometimes I hold filler like I am using it, when both hands get it down I'll start adding some filler.

Can't afford to practice all out all the time.

Use fatter wire.
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Use short lengths of wire, easier to control.
    Miller Trailblazer's ( 2 )...MillerBobcat 250...Millermatic 251's ( 2 )...Miller Syncrowave 200...Miller Syncrowave 180SD...Miller 12VS Suitcases ( 2 )... Hobart Hefty CC/CV Suitcases ( 2 )...Miller 30A Spool Guns ( 2 )...Miller WC 15A Control boxes ( 2 )...Thermo Dynamics Cutmaster 50 Plasma Cutters ( 2 )...Thermo Arc Hi Freq Units ( 2 )...Smith / Victor O/A Sets...DeWalt Power Tools...Craftsman / Snap On Hand Tools... Two Dodge Mobile Rigs