Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default P&H four cylinder mobile welder??

Does anybody know anything about these old jewels?

I was asked to look at one today as it wouldn't carry an arc. I'm a pretty good electrician but know little about welders or how they deviate from being a simple DC generator.

Is there any resource with perhaps a wiring diagram or manuals? I'm thinking there's a big selenium stack looking thing on top with engine vacuum going to it. I suspect that's our regulator and our problem. Maybe controls excitation somehow....

Anybody know of any resources?

Thanx, Steve in Las Vegas
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Leblond 15x 35 Regal Servoshift lathe
    Solberga SE 1425 Drill Press
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander
    Tons of grinders and hand tools
    Knife edge Balancing rollers
    Heat and AC in the garage

Jags and racing Triumphs

Quote Originally Posted by GT6Steve View Post
    Does anybody know anything about these old jewels?

I was asked to look at one today as it wouldn't carry an arc. I'm a pretty good electrician but know little about welders or how they deviate from being a simple DC generator.

Is there any resource with perhaps a wiring diagram or manuals? I'm thinking there's a big selenium stack looking thing on top with engine vacuum going to it. I suspect that's our regulator and our problem. Maybe controls excitation somehow....

Anybody know of any resources?

Thanx, Steve in Las Vegas
    Steve

what you may be looking at is a "Carbon Pile Regulator"...

http://www.brighthubengineering.com/...ile-regulator/

http://www.datwiki.net/page.php?id=1...&searching=yes

However...
    many times the problem is just worn out carbon brushes... have you checked their length, condition and spring pressure against the commutator??... also commitator condition??
    Last edited by H80N; 07-30-2013 at 08:27 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Question

Any chance of some pics and a model name???

some of the old P&H engine drives were OEM Hobarts....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Thanx for the responses. I apologize for not having the details for the query. I know better and I'll get them tomorrow. It has a Lycoming four cylinder engine that runs sweetly. I'm told it's from the early fifties cuz the fabricator said it was a bit older than me?

A carbon pile? REALLY! I haven't seen one of those since the hoist controls in the mine back in the late seventies! Now I have to take it apart...

I'll get the numbers tomorrow and maybe it's worth taking my digital to work for some pics.
    Oh yeah, the brushes and comm look beautiful with a light chocolate color and streaking scratches from the dirty environment.

Thanx, Steve
    Last edited by GT6Steve; 07-30-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander

Jags and racing Triumphs

Thumbs up

Might just be something as simple as crudded or corroded contacts in the selector switches.... a little emery cloth and... maybe..

gotta figure.. maybe 1954 vintage, probably spent its life outdoors or otherwise mean environment...

Model??? maybe WN-200 WNT-250 or ???
    Last edited by H80N; 07-30-2013 at 07:56 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

OK, finally got some pics of the machine. At the link below. The trailer was built by our fabricator and he dearly loves the stability of this welder. I'd like to fix it for him.

Click this link for more pics....http://s206.photobucket.com/user/GT6...?sort=3&page=1

Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander

Jags and racing Triumphs

Quote Originally Posted by GT6Steve View Post
    OK, finally got some pics of the machine. At the link below. The trailer was built by our fabricator and he dearly loves the stability of this welder. I'd like to fix it for him.

Click this link for more pics....http://s206.photobucket.com/user/GT6...?sort=3&page=1

Here is an old thread off SmokeStak about that welder model...
    one of the guys claimed to have a schematic...

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32240

WNG might have been misread as WNP.... or..??
    Last edited by H80N; 08-03-2013 at 05:33 PM.

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

60 yrs in Vegas working for the city may be easier than doing it elsewhere? Paint all faded but not rusted. In the right hands, the time and place that could be useful yet. Sand and paint and it would look near new.

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    60 yrs in Vegas working for the city may be easier than doing it elsewhere? Paint all faded but not rusted. In the right hands, the time and place that could be useful yet. Sand and paint and it would look near new.

Well, You've just described Henry. He's the right hand for this and much else. He's not the typical city worker and he always demands the best. That's why I want to make this right for him. It's all to easy to slam government empolyees, I do it all the time. This guy is what's right with the cities so let's see what we can do to make it right for him....
    Miller Diversion 165
    1966 Bridgeport Mill
    Bigass Bandsaw
    Hydraulic press
    small surface grinder
    Belt sander

Jags and racing Triumphs