Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default bobcat 225 dying issue

I've got a 2010 bobcat 225 with the Robin/Subaru motor that I acquired with 70 hours on it a little while back. I've had it in my truck about a month. When I crank it the first time in the morning it runs good about 45 seconds then bogs down and dies blowing dark smoke. Its always about 15 -25 seconds after it idles down from start up. Then when I restart it acts flooded then goes ahead and starts and is fine all day. Sometimes it does it after lunch if I take a very long one. I'd appreciate any advice or help. It ain't keeping me from work but it is something I worry about. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by fencemaker; 07-26-2013 at 04:59 PM.

A serial# would be handy, is it a front or rear engine unit?

Rear motored if rear is where the motor is opposite the control panel. I'll get the serial # to ya soon as I can, I'm outa pocket. Thanks a bunch!

The serial # is LK21519H

It's just a guess at this point without more information, but it sounds to me like the carburetor float needle valve is not closing completely and the fuel pump is over filling the float bowl, which then causes the motor to run rich and stall. This would produce the "flooded" condition on restart too. I would replace both the float needle valve and the float, since older floats frequently either leak or absorb fuel and no longer float at the correct level.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by CharleyL:310260
    It's just a guess at this point without more information, but it sounds to me like the carburetor float needle valve is not closing completely and the fuel pump is over filling the float bowl, which then causes the motor to run rich and stall. This would produce the "flooded" condition on restart too. I would replace both the float needle valve and the float, since older floats frequently either leak or absorb fuel and no longer float at the correct level.

Charley
    Yes that was my first thought but it does it at the same time every cold start methodically. If it were a bad needle and seet or float wouldn't it do it all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by fencemaker View Post
    Yes that was my first thought but it does it at the same time every cold start methodically. If it were a bad needle and seet or float wouldn't it do it all the time?
    Sounds like the choke is staying on too long.
    Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981
    Cya Frank