Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Weak high freq. Syncrowave 250 DX

The last six months its gone from a mad "proffessor " 12 inch arc to 3/8" .
    While it still welds aluminum I worry the transformer is going T3 T4 (208045).
    I only found one post on this in searching ,, wonder if there is an ohm
    reading to check each side of the coil . Any other ideas besides CB 1 and R5 rheostat .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by helitech View Post
    The last six months its gone from a mad "proffessor " 12 inch arc to 3/8" .
    While it still welds aluminum I worry the transformer is going T3 T4 (208045).
    I only found one post on this in searching ,, wonder if there is an ohm
    reading to check each side of the coil . Any other ideas besides CB 1 and R5 rheostat .

Thanks
    I would pull the covers and thoroughly blow the dust out of it....

and download the manual that matches your serial number..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

then adjust the HF spark gaps...

if spark is still weak... i would run the machine in a dark room with the covers off to see if you have any blue corona spark leakage tracks.... dirt and dust can be conductive and bleed off your HV...

barring that I would ask Cruizer what the next step might be...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I would pull the covers and thoroughly blow the dust out of it....

and download the manual that matches your serial number..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

then adjust the HF spark gaps...

if spark is still weak... i would run the machine in a dark room with the covers off to see if you have any blue corona spark leakage tracks.... dirt and dust can be conductive and bleed off your HV...

barring that I would ask Cruizer what the next step might be...
    I have cleaned it with a vac. brush , air hose ( been unpluged for days ).
    I will try the spark gap check . Thanks

I had a similar problem with my Syncrowave 200 recently. The HF was erratic and you could see fluctuations in the arc.

I checked the manual and looked at the area for trouble shooting. It mentions cleaning and checking the HF gaps. I first unplugged the main cable to the machine and then I removed the right hand cover and started by blowing out the dust and wiping the whole area clean. I then checked the gaps. They were still correct at .008 checking with my feeler gauge set. I dipped the feeler gauge in acetone and worked it in and out on each gap and then blew the unit dry.

When I reassembled the cover and started the machine again, the difference was really quite dramatic. The arc is now stable and the machine is back to its old self.

I plan on doing this at least once a year from now on. Although my machine is a transformer unit, I guess the DX series also has spark gaps. If so, it's best to check them as mentioned above.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"