Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    How does that make any sense if retailers like IOC and others are offering it through Ebay and openly on the internet..????...... which is about as universal market as you can find..

that dog don't hunt....

No anouncement no literature... very awkward and clumsy... odd to say the least...

Probably a great little machine but all this mysteriosity sure casts a shadow over it..

where does it fall in the lineup?? does it compete just below the Dynasty 200DX or is it a minor step up from the Diversion 180??.....

What distinguishes it as an improvement on the Sync 200 that we would assume it replaces??....
    You can disagree or dislike but that is how Miller has always done it in the past.IOC may be able to buy from more than one region from Miller and that would account for their being able to offer it nation wide before some other dealers.
    Last edited by big mike; 07-25-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by big mike View Post
    You can disagree or dislike but that is how Miller has always done it in the past.IOC may be able to buy from more than one region from Miller and that would account for their being able to offer it nation wide before some other dealers.
    Been using and buying Miller welders for Many Many years... and their product introductions have always been a lot more orderly and well thought out than this.... with the exception of the mess that surrounded the aborted launch of the Dynasty 280DX....

that being said ... the Syncrowave 210 looks like a decent enough machine...

I am not the least bit surprised that it is an inverter... fully expect the phase out of transformer machines to be complete in the next couple of years...(if not sooner) inverters are much more efficient and cost effective... and with the advent of high power semis and function control semis... they can be incredibly versatile...
    Last edited by H80N; 07-25-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Spelling..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default I am not the least bit surprised that it is an inverter...

I do agree with the idea inverters will be replacing transformer machines, power supplies for many applications are becoming inverter. The modern IGBTs are very solid parts that can do some amazing stuff. Where I work we build power supplies for the Navy (who is very careful about changing from what works) is changing some systems over. Some of the supplies we build that are for commercial use push these parts hard and they hold up. One big challenge is preventing Counterfeit parts from coming in the door. Its a big problem for any builders of electronics, you buy your parts from a supplier and they are marked "intel" and they are not.

Its on there website now.

I'll still hang onto my Syncrowave 200. It does exactly what I need and is all paid for.

I'm sure that the 210 will be a good machine too, but I'm all spent out on welding equipment now. LOL.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post
    I am not the least bit surprised that it is an inverter... fully expect the phase out of transformer machines to be complete in the next couple of years...(if not sooner) inverters are much more efficient and cost effective...
    Seems like if inverters were so much more cost-effective than transformers, power companies would be putting them on telephone poles instead of transformers...how many trillion dollars could they save with reduced waste and reduced need for more capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    Seems like if inverters were so much more cost-effective than transformers, power companies would be putting them on telephone poles instead of transformers...how many trillion dollars could they save with reduced waste and reduced need for more capacity?
    That's an excellent question. I've wondered about that ever since I heard about inverters. My quess as to an answer is that at some point, the utility companies will be moving in that direction.

One good thing about transformers is that they are very durable. They also do well under widely varying temperature conditions and, best of all, there are no discrete components or circuit boards to fail.

This is not to say that inverters are not reliable, it's just that perhaps they haven't built them on the scale that is needed to step down the very high voltages that are carried on transmission lines. I do think it would ultimately save a lot of money in the future.

As to converting to solid state components, nearly all of the traffic lights in the US have already been converted to light-emitting diodes. That's saving an enormous amount of electricity. The typical LED consumes only 30 milliamps in comparison to light bulbs that use far more. Even in large arrays of 100 or more LED's, the total consumption would be around 0.3 amps. That's probably one tenth of what a light bulb in a street light would consume. LED's have very long lives as well.

So, it's probably only a matter of time until inverters replace some of the large transformers that you see on the typical pole outside of your house.

I would love to own a Dynasty because I'm aware of the advantages, particularly on welding of aluminum and other more exotic metals, I just wish that they weren't so expensive.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Milermatic 252
    Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

You cannot stop the march of time... and technology...

When welders with individual transformer taps were getting replaced with moveable core machines...

There were protests...

When moveable core machines were getting superseded by magnetic amplifier machines..

There were protests..

When Magnetic amplifier machines were getting replaced by SCR chopper square wave machines..

There were protests....

And now that choppers are being overtaken by inverters..???

You guessed it.... people resist change and the unknown... to no avail..

Luddites never win....
    Last edited by H80N; 07-29-2013 at 08:40 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by Helios View Post
    AC power transmission is by far the most economical way to supply power over long distances. This was settled between Edison and Tesla many years ago. Generating AC or DC is really no different in cost but transformers by far handle the very high AC voltages more economically than an inverter based unit that would be used in transmission lines.

Ummmm....

Dont get it. Kinda Aerowave-ish, Edsel-ish.

Why would I want a 130# inverter with dual voltage for tig?

Either a big reliable tranny or a small, compact, light inverter.

Not sure where it fits. Kinda looks like it will be a ba$tard machine someday.