Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sorry it's been a few days.

It's not the bucket that's cracked. It's one of the loader arms where it has a cylinder connecting to the other side. I can't get to the back of the cracks as these are both hollow parts.

IMG_2043.jpg
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™ (Sold)
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I look at that picture, if it is repeatedly breaking there, I can tell that you can weld it up all you want, all you are doing is fixing the symptoms, it will break again there or elsewhere. Something is out of line, it is flexing as the loader arms go up and down. Sight across the loader arms (at various points of lift), look for them not to be parallel. Put the front wheels up on blocks, run the bucket all the way down (where the cylinders bottom out before the bucket makes contact with the ground) see if one side hits before the other. Do the same thing with full extension. Could be a tweak, could be a worn bushing where the loader arms attach to the tractor, could be worn bushings on the bucket or a twisted bucket. Could also be worn cylinder eyes or attachments, or simply cylinders that don't quite match up perfectly. In any case, to actually fix this problem, you need to find the cause.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

How long would this last if you didn't fix it. Turn up the amps on the 7018. weld over it, see what happens. For some cracks in the field simply follow it down with a torch and cut thru it, smoke a big bead back in, sections to 1/4 are easy with small electrode. I agree, what caused it is speculative, has the repair lasted a brutal year or is this a hobby tractor?

This looks like it could be repaired with a torch and or a grinder and a welder and if a guy was slick look like it had never been done.

I fixed a piece of forestry equipment for a self employed type, at first he figured I would make some kind of band aid repair like the last guy did,,, his bud,,, the laid off welder. I said, I am not wasting 2 hrs to save one will take 3 and it wont be a temp repair, it had its problems fixed,,, like Joe mentioned.

It was in a problem spot, the last guy had some idea but his out of position skills left something to be desired and he didn't take it apart far enough to make it practical and get it all square again. Weld it all up in spot with 10A TOO much to make it look really pretty while anchoring the bushing that let loose, I think I actually added about 6 square inches of plate,,, spent another hour on the other side where the same type of repair wasn't all that far from failing.

I finally got the repair done yesterday. I cut out a service port from the top of the tube. This allowed me to weld the cracks from the inside using a backing plate in the flat position. (My overhead needs work) I also located more cracks that were not visible from the outside. They were in the part of the cylinder that is hidden in the arm of the front loader.

I gouged the cracks with 3/16" carbon rods at 200 amps from the syncrowave 351. Cleaned up the edges. Preheated and welded back with 7018. Customer was happy with the work. Hope it holds this time.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™ (Sold)
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set