Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default need help with compressor

This is an old craftsman comp. I dunno much about it except it pumps fast and keeps up with my impacts and all but I don't see a pressure switch or anything. The motor is wired direct and there's not even a pressure relief valve... anybody seen or had one like this?

Here's a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I had one years ago some what like that

the one I had moved a lot of air and would just dump from the pump when it reached full pressure, I think it was for a paint system, rather loud. I just ran full pace and the pump would burp off air when it was at full pressure.

This thing went to 180psi and was still going. Its really quiet and pumps air surprisingly fast

Why don't you just run your own regulator, pressure switch, and blow off? If it works good sounds like it just needs some safeguards.

Thats what ima do. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was

I would use a pressure switch like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Air-Compresso...-/200659612000. You might have to get creative with the plumbing and put in a check valve and a tee. Your system should also have a properly sized and installed over-pressure relief valve.---Meltedmetal

If theres no relief valve, I would call it a bomb and not a compressor.

Get a pressure swith as well as a blow off valve rated at about 180 Psi or so, A standard 2 stage compressor goes up to 175 psi.

If you strictly use it at home I would mount it on a bigger tank, Just make sure the tank is rated for your max pressure, If you use it in the field and at home I would run some hoses to an auxillary tank so you volume in case you want to do a little sandblasting.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    If theres no relief valve, I would call it a bomb and not a compressor.

Get a pressure swith as well as a blow off valve rated at about 180 Psi or so, A standard 2 stage compressor goes up to 175 psi.

If you strictly use it at home I would mount it on a bigger tank, Just make sure the tank is rated for your max pressure, If you use it in the field and at home I would run some hoses to an auxillary tank so you volume in case you want to do a little sandblasting.
    It's just a matter of time before that small tank has had enough and explodes. I have never seen a compressor like that one from a manufacturer or store. If it's a craftsman and has a model # maybe you can find it on their parts website. 180 lbs is 5 lbs more than my Quincy will take. My 11 gallon portable air tank I'll only fill to 100 lbs. I think it's rated for 125 Lbs

Default I agree with the bomb

Not have any cut off and no relief valve could create a bad day.