Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Go to:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm

They sell you a 2 foot length of 1" OD steel round bar. They'll also sell you other lengths and sizes and shapes if you desire.

Shipped to NJ by UPS. Total cost for a 2 foot section of Cold rolled mild steel 1" OD round bar is about $30.00 ($14.30 + $15 S/H). Take about 5 days to get to you. If you want to pay more for S/H you can get it much faster.

Go check it out

http://www.speedymetals.com has 1" OD DOM tubing in quite a few different wall thicknesses up to 1/4".

As a practical matter... you could go down to Lowes or your local hardware store and purchase a length of heavy wall black iron pipe... it should be plenty strong and durable... no to mention inexpensive and easily procured locally...

AND for the guy that is gonna pipe up with something about "Iron"..... relax... it is made of steel.... and as a historical note.... many early motorcycle frames were built from "Gas Pipe"..... which is the same stuff...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Mcmaster Carr. Look them up on the web. They sell almost everything including metals. You'll pay top dollar plus shipping but have it the next day. I use them all the time when in a bind. They sell short lengths so it's good if you need something odd & don't want to buy a full length.

Metal Depot also on the web.

Even Lowes, Home Depot or local hardware, plumbing supply. Sometimes it's plated, galvanized but if your in a jam you make it work.

Look up steel suppliers, fab shops in your area.

If you have to ask where to get 1" round bar....

I did your job for you. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-rods/=nqtpxm
    Last edited by MMW; 07-23-2013 at 05:12 AM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Not much of a fabricator if you don't know where to get the materials you need to do a project. I don't think I would want to ride one of your creations, or even ride near it on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    You don't understand the chopper building business. (1) Choppers area thing of the past...their time has come and gone, so (2) No one stays in that business very long because (3) The clientele is rapidly diminishing toward ZERO and the ones that are still into the chopper thing have finally figured out that chopper really means RUINED MOTORCYCLE done by some fly-by-night joker that has turned a maybe decent handling ride into a scary E ticket ride (usually so illegal that a cop could write an encyclopedia of tickets on one) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle frame with anything more dangerous or serious than a decal.

And, due to all that, most chopper "businesses" are the sort of business that other normal businesses won't have anything to do with, therefore NO SUPPLIER!!
    Sorry man! I have to disagree. I grew up in the chopper era! We made our own parts. Had to be a mechanic in those days to ride a Harley. You couldn't afford to take it to a shop. The Harley dealer in my area hated choppers! Thought they ruined a bike! Wake Up!!! Now the wannabe's are spending 50 grand on an old school bike that is not ridable. Orange County Choppers rides on!!! Lol!

Man lot's of wild punches being thrown here for sure. If the dude is looking to get something done he most likely hoped someone close could part with a piece of 1" stock. Its his build and i along with the others on here have no idea of the application or use except for the brief description he gave us. You build what you can sell or use anything more is just a waste of time, space and money. Build on and be proud of what you have accomplished.

I've got 2' of 1" round. I can mail it to you for $688.88.
    Or, I can ride across the country and hand it to you personally for $14,888.88.

Of course I don't have a cool facebook page with a circa 2003 groovy height of the latest chopper craze name, so you might not accept material from me.

Let me know. Or you can drive a mile or thirtyfour and buy some like a real business.

Good grief man.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

I need about 18" of 3/4 inch black electrical tape. Just have one splice to do. I'd rather not buy a whole roll for just one splice.
    Any body got a real small roll you could send me?

You guys are just mean. You're supposed to just email a piece to him.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....