Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool i need steel round bar anyone?

i need steel round bar 1: od anyone got 2 feet? kinda in a bind im widening a rigid chopper frame for a 360 tire want to insert this inside the frame tubing email me sickchoppers@live.com

"We are sick choppers
    "steel fabricators"

Add us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003249723900

No steel suppliers in NJ? I have some in the shop, but shipping is always an issue. One of the online metal suppliers might be just the ticket.

Same deal here. I have some laying on the shelf from the steel yard 5-6 blocks away. You build chopper frames for a business and you haven't a supplier....WTF!?
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

I got some but you are about 700 miles from me,sorry.

1 inch is about right for a lot of car axles... a 2ft section should be next to nothing at a junk/scrap yard..... way overkill for what you are doing....but cheap and available..

how about cutoff drops from local fab/machine shops??.... has worked out pretty well for me over the years.... one hand washes the other...

think you are really looking for tube....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Cool

I have a never ending supply of 1" round solid bar. Weight sets. Always sitting on the curb laws for free or cheap at yard sales...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Same deal here. I have some laying on the shelf from the steel yard 5-6 blocks away. You build chopper frames for a business and you haven't a supplier....WTF!?
    You don't understand the chopper building business. (1) Choppers area thing of the past...their time has come and gone, so (2) No one stays in that business very long because (3) The clientele is rapidly diminishing toward ZERO and the ones that are still into the chopper thing have finally figured out that chopper really means RUINED MOTORCYCLE done by some fly-by-night joker that has turned a maybe decent handling ride into a scary E ticket ride (usually so illegal that a cop could write an encyclopedia of tickets on one) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle frame with anything more dangerous or serious than a decal.

And, due to all that, most chopper "businesses" are the sort of business that other normal businesses won't have anything to do with, therefore NO SUPPLIER!!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by dondlhmn View Post
    You don't understand the chopper building business. (1) Choppers area thing of the past...their time has come and gone, so (2) No one stays in that business very long because (3) The clientele is rapidly diminishing toward ZERO and the ones that are still into the chopper thing have finally figured out that chopper really means RUINED MOTORCYCLE done by some fly-by-night joker that has turned a maybe decent handling ride into a scary E ticket ride (usually so illegal that a cop could write an encyclopedia of tickets on one) and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a motorcycle frame with anything more dangerous or serious than a decal.

And, due to all that, most chopper "businesses" are the sort of business that other normal businesses won't have anything to do with, therefore NO SUPPLIER!!
    Don, next time I need somebody to explain that water is wet I'll give you a poke. In the meantime, if you're feeling old and bitter, use somebody else to quote. Have a good day.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

OUCH!!!!!

Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Quote Originally Posted by JSFAB View Post
    OUCH!!!!!

You can say that again....

and here I thought that thee 4th of July was a couple of weeks ago...

but we still get some fireworks...

I come from the Whatever Makes You Happy school...... everybody likes different projects... what tickles my fancy might repulse you or visa-versa...
    If it makes you happy... I am happy for ya.... One of my likes is Morgan style reverse trikes... and I can care less what anybody else thinks of my jollies..
    So who am I to denigrate somebody that loves choppers??

When I Like these...

pembolge2.jpgmorgan-three-wheeler.jpg
    Last edited by H80N; 07-19-2013 at 10:20 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..