Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default storing rod with desiccant??!!

I had a funny idea today. It has been SUPERhumid here for the last 7 days. And was thinking about my rod sitting in the shop.

I can't afford an oven nor do I wanna buy one!

What if I took an old green Coleman chest cooler, with the steel latch on it.... and glued up a little compartment made of plastic on the bottom of the cooler at the end where the drain is. Then filled the compartment with desiccant tablets ( I have tons of free desiccant at work ). And used it to store my rod?! I could just open the drain when water accumulates! The old cooler should seal really well with the steel draw latch and the old school weather stripping type seals.

I dunno just a though... but I think I'm gunna try it. It gotta keep my rod dryer than just sitting on a shelf!

A good way is get an old fridge and install just a bare 100watt light bulb in it and it keeps them nice and dry. Even hot to bare hands.

I never really understood how the desiccant helps when it leaves a bowl of water inside the area your trying to keep dry. I used it in the boat cabin for a while but seems the water that collects would still put moisture back in the area, I guess its not in the air.

The desiccant we use at work are in packs, I have read where these can be dried in the oven and used again and again.

I'd say it would be better than nothing.

X2 on the ole fridge. My grandad used one like that and kept his 7018 on the top shelf. They were always warm and burned perfectly. I also have one but I don't have a bulb in it. I get the top half and the lil lady uses the bottom for her crap. Naturally she puts paper products in there so the bulb is a no go till I get me own.

Quote Originally Posted by dan-gerous View Post
    ... I could just open the drain when water accumulates! ...
    ???

Why not just use rod storage tubes?

I use the simple rod storage tubes, with descant packs in side them. When the descant pack absorbers water and changes color, change the desiccant.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

I suspect the flux coating on some if not all rods IS a desiccant itself, so your desiccant would have to be a BETTER desiccant than the coating on the rods.

Also, most desiccants I know of don't reduce the humidity enough to keep guns from rusting in a sealed container, let alone keep lo-hy rods dry enough to meet code.

Think about it. If we could simply use a can of cat litter to keep rods dry, no one would bother buying $700 rod keepers!

All code welding is done...to code with rods stored in ovens.
    Most home garage welding is done with rods not stored in ovens. The plastic tubes work well for non code work or hobby home garage welding.
    Most people on this board wouldn't know the difference between a rod that has been stored in an oven and a rod that hasn't.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    All code welding is done...to code with rods stored in ovens.
    Most home garage welding is done with rods not stored in ovens. The plastic tubes work well for non code work or hobby home garage welding.
    Most people on this board wouldn't know the difference between a rod that has been stored in an oven and a rod that hasn't.
    Ditto
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

^^,guess this just became another thread where someone hikes their leg up onto the tree and starts pissing.