Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The only reason for a diesel to have excessive smoke is either too much fuel or not enough air. I know it sounds stupid, but have you checked your air filter system to see if it's become plugged? I'm assuming you're talking about black smoke and not white/gray (coolant) or blue (crankcase oil.)

If all the other systems are functioning properly, then the injector system is delivering too much fuel and you'll have to have it corrected if the smoke bothers you.

Nope, Like I said in a earlier post, I just replaced all the filters, I also was thinking that it just burns a little rich ( Too much fuel )

Cruizer, I'm not sure what hooking it up on a load bank will do other than let me know if I have a power loss.
    I run it wide open on the mig side all the time along with air arcing usually at about 350 amps without a bog or hesitation.

I guess my question is What harm will it do if it burns a little on the rich side.

Default Crack test injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Nope, Like I said in a earlier post, I just replaced all the filters, I also was thinking that it just burns a little rich ( Too much fuel )

Cruizer, I'm not sure what hooking it up on a load bank will do other than let me know if I have a power loss.
    I run it wide open on the mig side all the time along with air arcing usually at about 350 amps without a bog or hesitation.

I guess my question is What harm will it do if it burns a little on the rich side.
    After reading all the replies I can see that no one here has a clue how a diesel engine works. First it is highly unlikely that the little block style pump is overfueling. Here why, first there is no way someone can tamper, or play with that pump. The fuel delivery valve is built into the plungers of the pump, the pump must be removed and disassembled and set. Also a diesel will smoke a lot if it is slightly out of time, again timing on that engine is set with a shim under the pump. If the engine has always smoked a little from day one that is likely the problem, If your truly want to fix this I can give you the procedure to check this.
    If the engine started smoking and got progressively worse I would be check the injectors, thus the crack test. Simply run the engine at full throttle and crack the infectors at the fuel delivery lines and see if you can isolate the cylinder which is smoking the most, could be as simple as a weak injector or an injector which has poor spray patterns. This is also a very simple and easy balance test on the engine. If you find the injector which is thought to be bad, switch it to another cylinder if that cylinder smokes, replace it. Depending on the hours the injectors are fairly cheap for that engine, should be able to get them rebuilt for 80-90 bucks.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Thanks Tryagn5, It has smoked as long as I can remember and has not gotten better or worse with time,

When at idle 1800 rpm theres not really any smoke untill it goes to high rpm wheather its at max load or just running a grinder, so based on what you have said I'm thinking its timing.

Thanks for explaining everything.

Default Smoking issue - "Wetstacking"

I have the same issue you have described. I have the Big Blue Air Pak with the Deutz oil cooled engine. It was load banked before I took possession and performed without these issues. Recently it began to wetstack. The service rep for Miller locally and their factory engineers confirm it needs to be load banked again, takes 3-4 hours. This is not unusual for diesel engines operating welding machines.

Tommy