Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smoking Isue Pipe pro 304

I have a 2001 Pipe Pro that has been a good machine, It has a 26 HP Kabota diesel.
    The problem is that it has smoked as long as I can remember, Expecially when it reves up to 3600 Rpm.

I had a really good mechanic stop in that I had to do some welding for and told him about my problem so he started up my machine while it was cold and it fired up right away so he said
    ( Well you got good compression due to how quick it fired )

About a year ago I adjusted the valves thinking that might be the problem but they all were within spec.

The mechanic said I have nothing to worry about ( It does'nt stumble at all when reving from low idle to high idle. )

He said that its just dumping a little extra fuel which is better than starving it for fuel.

So my question is: Does this sound right.

Keep in mind that I just changed the oil filter, fuel filter and air filter and I run on road diesel from many different stations which has never made a difference.

So the only thing I can think of would to have a pro adjust the fuel pressure or would you guys do what that mechanic said to do which is to leave it alone.

Issue, I could'nt correct my spelling so I guess I wear the dunce cap today, Issue, Issue, Issue.
    Last edited by Portable Welder; 07-17-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Ummm, if your not venting oil like crazy, you really have no problems with your machine. However, IT NEEDS LUBRICATION FOR THE INJECTORS! so a couple oz of Standynes or Howes Meaner will do the trick.

Default leaking injector...or pump shimmed wrong

That kubota should have next to no smoke at full throttle. If it smoked while being loaded that is normal, but it should not be excessive. Do a crack test on the injectors. Ie crack the lines at the injector and see if the smoke goes away or gets less, basically you are checking for a leaking or overfueling injector. If it makes no difference then the injection pump should be checked for timing. On that block style pump timing is controlled by the shim underneath the pump. Also do a compression test, i have seen kubota start very easily and the motor was wiped.
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25
    Ford f450 Maintainer Srv Truck

Please keep in mind, Its not mega smoke and is most notable when it goes from low to high.

Cetane boost/ fuel lubricant to replace the missing lub that the sulphur had will make your problems disappear,,,, just do it, thennnn report back geez.

Default how much smoke

How much smoke is it! If it puffs smokes when in goes from no load to load it should, no amount of cetane booster is going to remove this. When someone says smokes as a diesel mechanic i think excessive smoke. If its smoking ie black/white/grey smoke when running at 1/2 load theres a probelm, kubota run very clean. Because or the design of a block style injection pump, it is difficult to elimate smoking when they are being drawn down, also all to often little diesels are worked harder then there rated hp allows.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25

Default how much smoke

How much smoke is it! If it puffs smokes when in goes from no load to load it should, no amount of cetane booster is going to remove this. When someone says smokes as a diesel mechanic i think excessive smoke. If its smoking ie black/white/grey smoke when running at 1/2 load theres a probelm, kubota run very clean. Because or the design of a block style injection pump, it is difficult to elimate smoking when they are being drawn down, also all to often little diesels are worked harder then there rated hp allows.
    Kevin
    XMT 304
    Miller Spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spool gun
    S22a
    Miller Legend 302
    Lincoln LN25

It smokes about the same whether under load and no load, Not really any difference that I have found.

Cruizer, I have tried Cetain boosters over the years and still exactly the same.

Well, then load it up, via a load bank.