Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need a welding niche

I have tried to cover everything that might come my way but some focus in a certain area just might have its benefits.

My goal was to be the small / mobile shop that would take the little jobs, big shops don't want to deal with. I have had a few folks say they are glad I'm doing it and bring things from time to time. But it is not enough.

I feel like I am missing something, some niche I'd be good at or get good at and it just hasn't come to mind yet.

Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I have tried to cover everything that might come my way but some focus in a certain area just might have its benefits.

My goal was to be the small / mobile shop that would take the little jobs, big shops don't want to deal with. I have had a few folks say they are glad I'm doing it and bring things from time to time. But it is not enough.

I feel like I am missing something, some niche I'd be good at or get good at and it just hasn't come to mind yet.

Any Ideas?
    Let your heart rule and your purse will follow...

The process that you enjoy the most is the one you are likely to become the most skillful and successful at... as you hone your skills your reputation will grow..

For instance I enjoy the TIG process the most... and that is where I concentrate

Some of this will be colored by where you live and what is available to you..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Yea, Tig is my favorite process also.

A few years ago I had cards made up with that in mind. I got slack on beating bushes and handing them out but with the 200DX I was able to get some thin jobs where people said it couldn't be done.

My inland area offers a little of everything but not a lot of anything.

Maybe I should look more towards aluminum. The big shops around here will only accept gold bricks for aluminum work no matter how small the job.

Are you in the country or an urban area??

Portable TIG... ln an urban area... if you are willing to work between 3:00 and 9:00am... there are lots of restaurants that need sanitary stainless repaired or modified..while they are closed.. or aluminum pots and pizza paddles that need repaired....
    the possibles are limitless and you will not be in competition with azillion stick guys out there...

or how about Micro-TIG repairing dies and molds??

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post

Portable TIG... ln an urban area... if you are willing to work between 3:00 and 9:00am... there are lots of restaurants that need sanitary stainless repaired or modified..while they are closed.. or aluminum pots and pizza paddles that need repaired....
    the possibles are limitless and you will not be in competition with azillion stick guys out there...

I'd say small urban but the fast food places are lined up. I could actually work those hours as I am on second shift and do have portable Tig. I like the idea. Maybe I'll talk to a few and see where it goes.

Micro Tig sounds good also. But I'll have to research it.

Thanks for the reply's, I thought there would be more but I guess some are keeping their secrets.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post

I'd say small urban but the fast food places are lined up. I could actually work those hours as I am on second shift and do have portable Tig. I like the idea. Maybe I'll talk to a few and see where it goes.

Micro Tig sounds good also. But I'll have to research it.

Thanks for the reply's, I thought there would be more but I guess some are keeping their secrets.

Around here I constantly get calls for weld repairs on car rims and on cars. Neither I will do.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

If you provide better service,better quality with fair pricing you may find you offer something the other guy does not.
    Professional appearance(personal and equipment),timely arrival and quality work may give you the niche you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Around here I constantly get calls for weld repairs on car rims and on cars. Neither I will do.
    I thought about body work a few years back and picked up a an old fender at a local body shop.

Thinking that would be so easy with the 200DX. Still it warped no matter what I did so I scrapped it and moved on. Nobody has ever asked me to do one anyway.

I never have been asked to do a rim, also probably wouldn't do it.

Smile

a lot depends on where you live and the demographics...
    Plus your level of commitment and hard work..

for instance Fusion King lives in an area with a lot of lakes and boating...

and at least at one time a substantial amount of his mobile work was done with a Dynasty 200DX in the back of a Chevy Astrovan.... and it sounds like he has done well... keep in mind that he is a VERY skilled aluminum welder and it took him years of hard work...

maybe he will comment..

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 200