Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Need a welding niche

I have tried to cover everything that might come my way but some focus in a certain area just might have its benefits.

My goal was to be the small / mobile shop that would take the little jobs, big shops don't want to deal with. I have had a few folks say they are glad I'm doing it and bring things from time to time. But it is not enough.

I feel like I am missing something, some niche I'd be good at or get good at and it just hasn't come to mind yet.

Any Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post
    I have tried to cover everything that might come my way but some focus in a certain area just might have its benefits.

My goal was to be the small / mobile shop that would take the little jobs, big shops don't want to deal with. I have had a few folks say they are glad I'm doing it and bring things from time to time. But it is not enough.

I feel like I am missing something, some niche I'd be good at or get good at and it just hasn't come to mind yet.

Any Ideas?
    Let your heart rule and your purse will follow...

The process that you enjoy the most is the one you are likely to become the most skillful and successful at... as you hone your skills your reputation will grow..

For instance I enjoy the TIG process the most... and that is where I concentrate

Some of this will be colored by where you live and what is available to you..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Yea, Tig is my favorite process also.

A few years ago I had cards made up with that in mind. I got slack on beating bushes and handing them out but with the 200DX I was able to get some thin jobs where people said it couldn't be done.

My inland area offers a little of everything but not a lot of anything.

Maybe I should look more towards aluminum. The big shops around here will only accept gold bricks for aluminum work no matter how small the job.

Are you in the country or an urban area??

Portable TIG... ln an urban area... if you are willing to work between 3:00 and 9:00am... there are lots of restaurants that need sanitary stainless repaired or modified..while they are closed.. or aluminum pots and pizza paddles that need repaired....
    the possibles are limitless and you will not be in competition with azillion stick guys out there...

or how about Micro-TIG repairing dies and molds??

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post

Portable TIG... ln an urban area... if you are willing to work between 3:00 and 9:00am... there are lots of restaurants that need sanitary stainless repaired or modified..while they are closed.. or aluminum pots and pizza paddles that need repaired....
    the possibles are limitless and you will not be in competition with azillion stick guys out there...

I'd say small urban but the fast food places are lined up. I could actually work those hours as I am on second shift and do have portable Tig. I like the idea. Maybe I'll talk to a few and see where it goes.

Micro Tig sounds good also. But I'll have to research it.

Thanks for the reply's, I thought there would be more but I guess some are keeping their secrets.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by H80N View Post

I'd say small urban but the fast food places are lined up. I could actually work those hours as I am on second shift and do have portable Tig. I like the idea. Maybe I'll talk to a few and see where it goes.

Micro Tig sounds good also. But I'll have to research it.

Thanks for the reply's, I thought there would be more but I guess some are keeping their secrets.

Around here I constantly get calls for weld repairs on car rims and on cars. Neither I will do.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock40 View Post

Any Ideas?

My opinion only so take it or don't, based on observing living in the paying welding world over the years.

If you really believe there is a spot where a person can make a living because the work is too small for the local real business', I've never seen such a thing.

We work almost always on site, but every welding shop I've seen in 30 years has a cat who just handles walk in work.
    There a lot of very wealthy shop owners who've made their living off small jobs. Over and over small = large.

I see this a lot on the interwebs, never seen it in person.

What I HAVE seen, many times, is where local business' won't deal with a problem customer. Anybody can pick up those accounts, but if they were worth it everbody would be going for them.

Bottom line (specially in this economy where welding business' are dropping like flies and have been since '08) there are no jobs out there, that provide any reasonable profit, that existing business' are not going after.

People will post examples trying to refute that statement. Ask them how many years they've been in business and what they net per year.
    And ask them what their real 40 hr/wk job is : )
    Lot's of phoney "welding Co's" on forums.

J
    Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Sounds pretty realistic JTM. I am real bad putting at my ideas out there where it doesn't confuse and then I find myself contradicting a lot of things.

I couldn't make a living doing small jobs and I have been in shops where a guy hangs out there all day just taking care of such things also.

I have a regular job and limited time. I'm just easing in right now but need a little more than I am finding. Well I been easing in for a few years. LOL

This thread was to get some ideas on something to focus on, get good at and have a specialty. It may not be a good idea but I have to keep moving forward and talking to you guys about it helps see it for what it is.

I'd like to be able to quit my job and jump in with both feet but I wouldn't last no time.

Its true small jobs that shops wont do are problem customers. Not because they dont pay well. All my work is people who want to wait for quality I take longer but we spend the time
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135