T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Keep it tight and stay comfortable lots of practice

Default overhead stick

It's just like welding in the flat don't over think the process. Keep tight arc length and a steady hand. If all else fails try standing on your head.

comfy is important, if possible keep it jus above eye level

I agree, Over head is just like flat, dont put much weave into it if any at all and the key is to stay tight like every one said.

If your testing make sure you have good protective gear so you dont jump from a stray spark and bust out.

Wear good gear, leather sleeves at a minimum! Also get comfortable, I just tested for my D1.1 1" plate and by the time I got done running 1/8 7018 my arms wanted to fall off!! Keep a nice tight steady bead and you will do just fine! AND CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!!! Cant forget that!

Default overhead stick

If its a cwb test your allowed up to 15degrees off of horizontal so that helps. Have something to rest your arm/elbow on. Scrap. Vide grips maybe.

Having something to rest my arms on is the key for me.
    On my structural CWB tests, I use 3 root passes for overhead instead of the regular 2 root passes I use for all other positions. I find keeping your beads smaller by running 3 passes instead of 2, helps keep it nice and clean. Larger beads get more difficult to control when welding overhead. I weld each side first standing on the other sides of the plate, then for the 3 pass down the center, I pull that straight towards me.
    Wire wheel on your grinder for cleaning between passes.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 07-21-2013 at 06:51 AM.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Hammer chisels and picks for cleaning, and some small hacksaw blades for stubborn flux, and everything mentioned above.