Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Voltage Quandary

I removed the cover from my old DialArc AC-DC 250 to check for dirt daubers and to blow it out.
    The power line configuration jumper was was set for 208 volts. The other choices were for 460V and 230V.
    Obviously, I know very little about electricity by having to ask whether the proper setting is 208V or 230V. Both are close to 220V which I believe to be the incoming line voltage.
    Which setting is correct for standard 220V single phase 80 amp service?
    Also, while cleaning the welder, I noticed that the control panel, in bold letters, labeled the unit as an "AC-DC Power Source"
    I can buy a practically new Miller XR-A Extended Reach Wire Feeder without a gun for $700.00. Would this work with the DialArc?
    If so, does the XR-A unit require a $700.00 gun or can I use an ordinary M series gun and would this be a sensible way to go?
    I need a more powerful MIG than my MM 135. If I could assemble a MIG using this old welder for $700.00, it would be great.
    I really like the old DialArc. It's the sweetest stick welder I have ever used.

The Dialarc is a great stick welder... it will make a lousy MIG supply...

for MIG you want a Constant Voltage supply... the Dialarc is a Constant Current supply

If your line power is 220vac... then strap the machine for 230vac.. (because that is what you really have)
    Last edited by H80N; 07-15-2013 at 09:40 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..

Default Voltage Quandary

H80N
    Thanks for the info.

What is the 208 volt option for? Where would you commonly find this voltage in the US?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dkennett View Post
    H80N
    Thanks for the info.

What is the 208 volt option for? Where would you commonly find this voltage in the US?
    Here is the link to the Wiki on single phase power... it explains it better than I could..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-...electric_power

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus Mills, Lathes & a Rat Tail File..