Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Yep, Miller forum, however if you have a Vantage...

The newer Vantages have a gouge mode, use it for stick welding! Then pretend you don't have a useless CC mode. The only difference is arc control is at +10.

For some reason the States guys haven't picked up on this. Canadian guys picked up on this pretty much imediately.

When you order your "Trueremote" in make sure you tell em that you want it programmed for downhill and gouge mode. NO MORE CC!

OH, yeah, and step the RPM down to 61 to 61.5 hz tested at the aux terminals and adjusted at the engine injector pump. WAYYYYY more power. Vantage 400 with the Kubota is at 60hz, and doesn't need adjusting.

and, one more thing, if you have the Vantage Kubota, turn the drain valve on the injector pump CLOSED clockwise. Its only there to drain the injuctor pump of air if you run out of fuel

Same with the RED-D-ARC 3+3 units, close the freaking valve. Tough to pressurize the injectors with the valve open,
    Last edited by cruizer; 07-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Cruizer,

I looked and it seems most of the Vantage units have stick capabilities or did I miss something.

Any advantages using this mode for stick?

Plus, I am still trying to understand arc force or dig control as it applies to stick.

Will try some stick with my Dynasty for the first time since I got it tomorrow.

(2008 unit without Blue lightning feature - ~250 hours - 90,000 arc starts - all tig.)

If the dig feature affects slope of V-I curve, I might understand it better.

thanks
    Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, Miller Dynasty 350, Hypertherm 1000, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.:

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

I looked and it seems most of the Vantage units have stick capabilities or did I miss something.

All vantages , rangers and such have stick, and mostly used with stick

Any advantages using this mode for stick?

Sure, the gouge mode uses ALL the chopper board, the CC mode uses zero chopper board. chopper board gives you the nice pure dc arc

Plus, I am still trying to understand arc force or dig control as it applies to stick.

+0 to +10, is a flatter arc washed in. with -0 to -10 being a higher focused arc, however it won't work if the rpm's are any higher than 61.5 hz high idle no load, and your stinger cable to the stinger must be 1/0 minimum

Will try some stick with my Dynasty for the first time since I got it tomorrow.

(2008 unit without Blue lightning feature - ~250 hours - 90,000 arc starts - all tig.)

I love my Pipe Pro 304 but sure wish I had the 1800 Rpm of the Vantage.

Nothing wrong with the noisy 304, however you do have to pull the internal XMT out once in a while to do some preventative maint. No biggee, take about 1.5 hrs to complete and back to gether again. No special tools needed.

Thanks for the input Cruizer, We sure do appreciate the time that you take to keep us all informed.

I'm voting that miller put you on payroll.

Regards, Dave