Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Hood shade and color debate

I was wondering what people had to say about welding hood lens colors and fixed or auto shade. Just recently I had to use a coworkers hood on a job. The lens in his helmet was I guess an amber or brown type color upon striking an arc. I have always owned green shade lenses and wondered what others use. How about auto dark helmets. Are you for or against them. Also what # shades do you prefer for your certain types of welding. I hope to see some good input. Thanks and have nice day.

I have used several different colors of lens and have found it doesn't matter much to me. I can see the puddle out of all of them. Most of my welding tends to be indoors, though some is out in the direct sunlight. I find it is even easier to see things outside. Mine right now are all green.

I had a Jackson Trusight with the amber band and I had a very hard time seeing the puddle, especially on titanium. I had a hard time making out any contrast. I'm probably the only person on the planet with that issue though. They get rave reviews everywhere you look. I chalked it up to something funky with my eyes. I went to a Miller with a regular green tint and am very happy. Most of my work is low amp DC TIG, so I am generally at a 9 shade.

I've never been able to see the puddle as well thru a auto-dark hood as a regular one, including the high-dollar auto-darks.

I use a gold glass #11 lens. I've also used a plastic red Radnor lens that gave a real good view of the puddle (I only used it once, with 7018).

My old welding instructor said he uses the darkest lens he can get away with, to try to save his eyes. You can always go to a lighter shade to see the puddle, but if you can't see the puddle, going darker doesn't work! Sounds like good advice to me.

i have an auto darkening helmet. all the helmets i have seen, including mine, only got to #13 shade max, and for me it isnt enough, and i have to also wear #3 shade glasses to keep me comfortable. i weld at 300 amps all day on aluminum and i need it darker
    SyncrowaveŽ 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Quote Originally Posted by FABMAN View Post
    i have an auto darkening helmet. all the helmets i have seen, including mine, only got to #13 shade max, and for me it isnt enough, and i have to also wear #3 shade glasses to keep me comfortable. i weld at 300 amps all day on aluminum and i need it darker

Fabman, one of the Miller Elites that pooched on me didn't stop working, but it just doesn't get dark enough. set at 13 it is about the same as a 9 in my other two hoods. Go out into the sun light and hold yours up to the sun along with another hood for comparison. comparing to known fixed shades is likely a better way to see if it is getting dark enough.

Walker that is kind of what happens to mine. I would like to try the sunlight idea. I never really played with the darkness setting all that much. I just left it at about 11 and never thought to compare it to my fixed #10. Thanks for the input.

I compared my elite to an old fixed shade in the shop. I was surprised by the difference in the two! The fixed #10 shade was darker than my elite set past 11. I am glad to know that now. After that I leave it at about 12.5 and is better suited for my applications. Thanks again FABMAN for the tip.