Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Miller auto dark helmet

I have an older Miller auto darkening helmet that has been acting up on me. When I strike an arc it will darken at first then slowly return to standby. Sometimes it won't switch at all or just stay dark. I have already replaced the lens and the batteries twice "pricey" and had no luck. Now I am back to using a Jackson #10 fixed shade. Can the unit be repaired or is it toast.

If you put new lens in and it still doesn't work, then your new lens is bad, also. I would contact miller!

Wink Battery Brand..??

Quote Originally Posted by Texas113 View Post
    I have an older Miller auto darkening helmet that has been acting up on me. When I strike an arc it will darken at first then slowly return to standby. Sometimes it won't switch at all or just stay dark. I have already replaced the lens and the batteries twice "pricey" and had no luck. Now I am back to using a Jackson #10 fixed shade. Can the unit be repaired or is it toast.
    This may seem like an off the wall answer.... but, what brand of battery did you use??

Some models of Miller helmet have problems with some battery brands because of the battery case shape and the contact design...

Here is a thread that addresses it for the Big Window Elite... and it may very well apply to others...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...lite+batteries

Hope this helps...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

I have had two BWEs die this year. I am likely to try another brand, as these are getting expensive to replace. I have had a AD that was a Praxair store brand and I think the lens is an ArcOne that has lasted for at least 15 years. I have had to modify some other hoods to accept it, as the hoods have worn out. It has a fairly big window, doesn't require that I push a button to turn it on, and does not have a replaceable battery, thus I have never changed it. I may go back to that, just liked the Miller headgear better.
    Ditto what was said on the batteries.

I gave up on the miller hood. I like my Jackson hood with a nexgen lens. It has a really comfortable headgear and lasts a long time

The batteries "both sets" have been Duracell and the previous ones that always worked we're Energizer brand. I don't think there was any difference in their design and size. It is an older elite model and I never had problems when I lived I'm California but could Texas humidity have anything to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Texas113 View Post
    The batteries "both sets" have been Duracell and the previous ones that always worked we're Energizer brand. I don't think there was any difference in their design and size. It is an older elite model and I never had problems when I lived I'm California but could Texas humidity have anything to do with it?
    i have a miller elite helmet for the past 5 years. i too had your problem, and pulled the batteries and took a tooth pick and pried the contact prongs downward so they would make better contact with the top of the battery. this solved my problem and has been working fine ever since. i love my miller helmet
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

and im here in south florida, i dont think texas would be as humid as here, so that shouldnt be the problem...
    Syncrowave® 200
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Lincoln Weld Pak 100 wire feed

Miller helmeta are VERY sensitive to battery manufacturer...

they spec Panasonic .... others can drive you crazy...

Tried Energizer in my BWE and had lots of intermittant probs...

here is the service notice
    Battery info 001.jpg

Last edited by H80N; 07-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Thank you for that information. I wouldn't have thought to look at the battery's height profile between different brands.