Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default welder mig gun lining? cover?

anybody know what they call the covering to protect mig gun hose?....slips on so dragging your gun across the floor wont harm the hose? where can i get it? i do alot of sheetmetal work slices at the mig gun lining

"We are sick choppers
    "steel fabricators"

Add us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003249723900

It's not a hose😜

It's a cable

http://weldingdirect.com/tigtorchcovers.html

Just one source
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I have a M-25 gun that was used by a sheet metal guy that sliced the crap out of the cover of the cable/hose (it is actually called a cablehose). I had taped it up with electrical tape to prevent further damage. This last week I had to pull the gun apart to fix a different issue. Since I had it apart I cut a 2' length of heat shrink tubing and fed it over the strain relief spring, and then underneath the spring (just shoved the spring forward until it was shrunk), then used a heat gun and shrunk it. It worked out great! Totally covered the damaged area, and would likely work as a prophylactic to prevent any damage initially. It is also easily replaceable. Took about 10 minutes start to finish.

I believe both Steiner and Tillman make leather covers that would fit a mig gun.
    The best stuff I have seen is gun wrap from American Weldquip......it's pricy(almost 4.00 a foot)but works real well.It's a spiral plastic like you might use on a wiring harness only bigger.

Default welder mig gun lining? cover?

There is a product sold by Office Depot, Staples, etc. designed to hold computer wires and cables together.

It is about 1/2 inch in diameter and made of a very tough black plastic that opens lengthwise for insertion of the various wires and cables and also to permit adding additional wires at later times. The cover closes by interlocking in a zipper fashion.

I had a work cable missing a lot of insulation a couple of years ago and remembered having a package of this product in the office. I put it on the cable and it has worked very well. I'm now using it for protection of my newer TIG cables and my MIG gun.

The product costs +/- $3.00.