Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default spoolmate 200 vs spool matic 30A

So I am buying a Millermatic 252 and want to do some aluminum.

Will probably build a 4x6 utility trailer using 1/4-3/8 inch stock

Questions;

1. Is the spoolmate 200 sufficient?
    2. Will the 200 run all alum wire?
    3. Should I just get the 30A gun?

Opinions welcome!

I will not be doing any production work or have extended periods of welding to do.

Thanks

One of the best reply's I have seen on the spoolmatics was a 15A means 15 feet of reach and the 30A is 30 feet of reach.

Yea, made me scratch my head a time or two. Now that doesn't answer your question but it was good info IMO.

What I gather from this forum is your not going to see any big difference in the welds. Maybe the machine and the operator are the important factors.

When I buy this setup, I'll take the less expensive route.

Another thing I have noticed online is the guns with aluminum have a tendency to start cold. Most all the welds in videos its obvious.

So preheating or starting on some scrap then moving onto the joint maybe a good idea but an added PITA if that is the case.

People do build aluminum trailers. If I was given the materials I would also. If I had to purchase materials to build a trailer I wouldn't use aluminum.

Although it would be a real fine learning experience and you would learn a lot. That kind of makes it worth it.

Leaning towards the spoolmate 200 as I am not a professional and will not use this to make a living...mostly for my own use.

Any good reasons to upgrade to 30A spool vs the 200 series as the former is almost twice the $$

Thx

You could go to resources here and look up the owners manual on both and read over them. Just use the model name.

Kpack;

Thanks for the direction!

I would also appreciate input from users of both guns on a 252 if possible.

I have done the online comp. but besides the duty cycle and 40amps difference it doesn't tell me much!

One more opinion from the cheap seats here. I am from the school of thought that I should buy as much power and quality as I can reasonably afford. My observation is that I expect that the 200 series will do the type of work you describe so long as you don't later decide to take on more ambitious projects. The 200 series seems (from the literature) to be designed to match the capabilities of the Mm216 size of machine and while it will work with the Mm252 it falls a little short of the capability of the latter machine. The 15A/30A can handle more current than the Mm252 can supply so you should never overload that gun with the Mm252. There also appear to be a few features on the 15A-30A that might(or not) be more useful in practice than they appear to be at first glance. The rotatable spool canister, the pre-flow capable trigger, and the heavier duty common consumables come to mind. Add to that the 15A-30A seems to be the go to spool gun not just for Miller but in the industry at large. You should be able to find the 30A used for about the price or less of the new price of the 200 series gun and the 30A should have a better resale value than the 200 if you later decide that spool guns are not for you. I hope some of the people using these guns and machines will chime in. Have fun with whatever you get.---Meltedmetal

Thanks Meltedmetal!

I have agreed to a used 30A gun for $600 can funds but need to drive about 100km to pick up.

Shouldn't cost too much in gas with the wife's puddle jumper 1.6L 4 door lol

Hmmm spoolmate 200 vs 30A, that (in my opinion) has little comparison. The 30A, I install on every brand, because it's perfection.

Cruizer;

What makes it so good feature wise compared to the 200?

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    One more opinion from the cheap seats here. I am from the school of thought that I should buy as much power and quality as I can reasonably afford. My observation is that I expect that the 200 series will do the type of work you describe so long as you don't later decide to take on more ambitious projects. The 200 series seems (from the literature) to be designed to match the capabilities of the Mm216 size of machine and while it will work with the Mm252 it falls a little short of the capability of the latter machine. The 15A/30A can handle more current than the Mm252 can supply so you should never overload that gun with the Mm252. There also appear to be a few features on the 15A-30A that might(or not) be more useful in practice than they appear to be at first glance. The rotatable spool canister, the pre-flow capable trigger, and the heavier duty common consumables come to mind. Add to that the 15A-30A seems to be the go to spool gun not just for Miller but in the industry at large. You should be able to find the 30A used for about the price or less of the new price of the 200 series gun and the 30A should have a better resale value than the 200 if you later decide that spool guns are not for you. I hope some of the people using these guns and machines will chime in. Have fun with whatever you get.---Meltedmetal
    +1 on the 30A..... sure do not regret my decision...

my 30A originally bought 10 years ago for my now sold TB301G and now on my MM350P..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..