Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New miller digital elite question

Just got my new digital elite hood and did a little welding to try it out and my only complaint is it doesn't stay flipped up very well. I have the knobs on the side as tight as possible. Is there something I'm over looking that will help prevent the hood from flipping back down so easily?
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

No it's a nice helmet but it creeps down on you when you want to keep it up.

Default Works better with age

Tighten the crap out of those knobs, not yet, wait till you used it like 20 times. Also play with the sliders, changing the center of gravity a bit will help.

andyman;

Have this exact same issue!

Will follow this thread also

Very nice hood but...

You think for the $$ it would stay where you want it!

Maybe one of the Miller folks on the forum can shed some light on this annoying issue.

Yep, same problem here.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Its a shame that this is an issue. Maybe if enough people post in here they will fix it I went with miller after my 4 year old speedglas 9100V broke last week in hopes it'd last longer than 4 years.

Or maybe we need to add a counter weight to the top?
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

I pulled the o rings off the pivots and that helped a lot.

I have the same issue and have tried several things in the hope of fixing it, but none have worked for very long. Keeping the knobs tight helps the most, but they strip out if you really crank on them. Adjusting the hood back closer to your face helps, but I hate it when my nose bumps the window or the hood hits my neck. When I first got the Digital Elite hood the detent button on one side was bent slightly and not dropping into the holes. I took that side apart and was able to bend the button slightly and this helped, but it requires additional attention about every couple of weeks because it wants to move back out of position. Removing the O rings and trying different O rings has also been tried with mixed results. I do mostly TIG and have just learned not to raise the hood as much as I used to. The hood itself works great except for this problem, so I've just learned to live with it. If Miller came up with a significant improvement for this I would be one of the first in line to try it.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Yep, same problem.
    =======================
    Miller 211 AutoSet
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 42

"The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters"
    Francisco Goya

It is auto dimming which means you shouldn't have to keep lifting hood up! It is a bad design, but the the titanium series!! Miller all the way!