Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions Appreciated

Below is a link to a lathe that I found. Any information concerning capabilities,condition and price would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first lathe and a huge learning process. I do understand that the tooling is usually a much graeter cost that the lathe itself.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/tls/3918612357.html

Thanks for any advice,
    Nick

I hope you are on your way to get it. You should be posting "What do you think of my new lathe". Looks like a screaming deal to me.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    i hope you are on your way to get it. You should be posting "what do you think of my new lathe". Looks like a screaming deal to me.
    +1..!!!! Grab it!!!!!...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Not much center-to-center distance on that old gal, but well worth what is being charged. Probably would handle 75% of what you would be wanting a lathe for and as long as you were considering it as a first lathe it should be well worth it and have your cash outlay easily recovered down the line. Belt drive will keep you from dodging shrapnel on a crash...
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    Not much center-to-center distance on that old gal, but well worth what is being charged. Probably would handle 75% of what you would be wanting a lathe for and as long as you were considering it as a first lathe it should be well worth it and have your cash outlay easily recovered down the line. Belt drive will keep you from dodging shrapnel on a crash...
    Did anyone see a compound in the photo because I did not? If there is not one with the lathe are they costly and readily available?
    Thanks,
    Nick

I think you can see it in the 6th picture down or so. The tool holder that is in it is the lantern style, but is sitting right on the dovetail. It should have a semi spherical washer and wedge set up to adjust the tool holder, or better yet, just pick up a QC tool post

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Did anyone see a compound in the photo because I did not? If there is not one with the lathe are they costly and readily available?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    I don't see a compound rest there. Best to ask the seller if it is a concern. They are nice but there is lots of machining you can do without it. From looking at the pictures I would say that you would have to change the cross slide to incorporate a compound rest otherwise the tooling may be too high to work properly. A compound rest gives you the angles but they are often less robust than the heavy-duty cross slide I see here. That means they may flex under heavy service when the straight cross slide may not. You could always get a milling attachment and build them(shorter cross slide and compound). Might be a fun learning experience and it still looks like a deal to me.---Meltedmetal

Just a quick update on the lathe. I wanted to thank everyone for their input. On Monday evening I took a look at it and got cold feet. The lathe was in pieces and under his house in a makeshift shop. I asked him how he got it in there and he said he placed it on a piece of plywood made a hole in it and drug it with a come along. The more I looked at it and the more I considered the information you gave me (lack of compound) I decided against it.

Where ya' located Kiwi?
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies