Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default reverse polarity

I weld hi freq reverse polarity on aluminum everyday I do a lot of mig on cars and such my new mig machine has reverse polarity what is the purpose of reverse polarity when using a mig on steel?

The reverse polarity is for when you are running flux core wire instead of regular solid wire.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Ok ive always mig welded on cars and such always solid wire so I didnt know thank you

Well Reverse polarity is electrode positive, flux core runs in straight polarity, as does most tig work

Innershield (Gasless) flux core is straight polarity (DC-)

Outershield (Gas shielded) flux core is reverse polarity (DC+)

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    The reverse polarity is for when you are running flux core wire instead of regular solid wire.
    Not quite sure where you got that information, but solid wire is also run on reverse polarity.

The reason the new mig machine has reverse polarity is probably because it has a gas hook-up on it and you can run a solid wire whereas the older model did not, hence the straight polarity used to run gasless flux core.
    Last edited by jpence38; 07-06-2013 at 07:55 AM.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman918 View Post
    my new mig machine has reverse polarity
    `Just curious, do you mean it is set up with reverse polarity or it has a polarity switch? What model of mig machine are you talking about?--Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    `Just curious, do you mean it is set up with reverse polarity or it has a polarity switch? What model of mig machine are you talking about?--Meltedmetal
    Just a guess, but it may have two terminal posts that can be switched on the inside where the wire spool goes. That is the way my small machines are set up.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Quote Originally Posted by jpence38 View Post
    Just a guess, but it may have two terminal posts that can be switched on the inside where the wire spool goes. That is the way my small machines are set up.
    Thanks Jim. I am aware of this and I guess a polarity switch is something that the "product engineer" saw fit to dispense with to save a few dollars on the cost of manufacture. Keeps the price point lower I suppose. I don't have one(small mig) but if I did, I think I might be tempted to put a polarity switch on it just cause I do a wide variety of things in a wide variety of places and usually in a rush. Anyway looks like he's gone fishin' and I've got to go do some pointing. (Not the finger kind, the stone foundation kind). Have a good weekend all.---Meltedmetal

Can someone point me in the right direction. I own a 211 and would like to add a polarity switch to the front panel
    since I'm frequently switching. Thanks
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

WHY would you be continously switching from gas to gasless wire???