Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default dry cut saw-- also called cold cut saw Question

I am going to get a dry cut saw and I cut a lot of angles so am looking to get one that is set up for miter cutting. It should be 14" and have a quick and accurate clamping set up. There are several good saws out there, but the clamping for miter cuts is terrible. Anyone know of a good one?? I did see a video of the Evolution Rage 3 which looks great, but It looks smaller than the 14". I cut a lot of 2" at 45 deg. and not sure if that one would do it. Thanks

I have the Rage 3- hate it.

Really designed for wood and occasional metal. Plastic blade guard on the base- not exactly sure what that piece is called but it has melted areas with metal stuck in it. PIA to clean up and make it smooth again.

Clamping system is a joke.

I would get a 14" Dry cut like the STEELSAW2
    14" TCT Industrial Chop Saw

or Dewalt equivalent: DeWALT Heavy Duty 14'' Metal (Multi-Cutter) Dry-Cut Saw
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I have used both the Evolution and the Steelmax. I like the Steelmax way more than the Evolution.

You might want to take a look at this one.

http://steelmax.com/s14-dry-cutting-saw.php

I have the DeWalt Multi cutter. Setting up the backstop/clamp requires a square for perfect cuts. For the money, it's alright. Also fast enough RPM to use an abrasive disc on hardened or stainless steel.
    Syncrowave 250 DX
    MillerMatic 212
    Hypertherm plaz
    Coors light on tap

I am leaning towards the Milwaukee myself http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6190-20

Also a dry saw and a cold saw are two totally diff animals

My buddy has a steelmax and the clamp is garbage. He had to mill a new one after he had two work pieces fly up and almost cut his neck after the clamp popped free. The rest of the saw is great though according to him.

As said a dry saw and a cold saw are to totally different animals and are separated in price by thousands of dollars.
    As far as dry saws go I would NOT buy another Evolution product. The Steel Max is the same saw as an evolution Rage 2. I have two dry saws as of right now, the Dewalt and the Milwaukee. Between the two the Milwaukee is the better saw by far. The Dewalt table sucks, badly. It is the same table and clamp as their abrasive saw, and deflects a lot when clamping. This is important, as if you get one slip when cutting with a dry saw you have likely trashed a $100+ dollar blade. The Milwaukee saw has a cast aluminum table and a much better clamp. I made a new table for my Dewalt out of 1/2" plate and it is much better now. There is a thread on it over on the Shopfloortalk board.

For just a little more money you get a lot more saw

http://metal.baileighindustrial.com/band-saw-bs-128m

Default dry cut saw-- also called cold cut saw Question

I have Milwaukee dry cut saw. Solid base and lock mechanism. Worth the price.