Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Fragile Cast Iron

My wife wants me to make a "Water Feature" for her using an antique cast iron pot which has an approximate 6" crack from the rim downward as shown by the attached photos.

The old pot is thinner than you might expect - 1/8" at the lip enlarging to 3/16 - 1/8 going downward. It is very old even for an old cast iron pot and I suspect it has become significantly thinner at the rim over the years from rust resulting from laying rim down in the ground. Also, the iron is very poor quality.

I'm not sure, but I think the crack has lengthened a couple of inches just from the handling involved in hauling it 70 miles from her mother's farm to Little Rock.

I need to repair the crack only to the extent that it holds water while remaining stationary with the repair being as unnoticeable as possible.

I have TIG, MIG, FCAW, and O/A capability but I'm afraid of putting localized heat on the pot.

My ideas are as follows:

1) Drill a small hole at the end of the crack and bevel and clean the crack with a die grinder no matter which method is chosen.
    2) Heat the entire pot and stick weld with 3/32 cast iron rod.
    3) Braze it.
    4) My Front Runner: J.B. Weld.

My best results with cast have been with brazing. I have had no experience with modern FCAW rods. I welded (or attempted to weld) a lot of cast 45 or so years ago as a kid growing up on a cotton farm but this is my first involvement with it since I resumed welding as a hobby after I retired.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images