Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Need help on older sync 350

Hey guys just bought and installed a big sync 350. I am no tig welder at all but i think i have a few problems and dont know where to start. First is i have no post flow at all. Second is my welds. I have tried to weld mild steel and it turns out black with mild porosity. I am running 20 on argon and when the pedal is pressed a second of gush comes out then tames down to what seems to be the correct flow. I have tried aluminum with NO results. It turns dirty with like a slag coating on top. To me it is acting like no argon or air is getting in the mix.

Running twenty on my bottle #7 cup positive mode 50 on amp dial freq on continuous freq knob on bottom about half way preflow lowest setting contactor to remote. All else is off.

Lastly is the high freq. i reset the gap to manual suggestion but here is my observation. When i start the high freq starts the arc fine but i have to get half into the pedal before the real arc starts and heat begins. Before that the arc will hiss wonder and dance till i get into the pedal quite a bit.

Maybe it is my inexperience with a tig i wont discount that but maybe there are some bigger issues that i need to take a look at especially since its flow dont work at all.

Thanks guy if you can help.
    Tester

Quote Originally Posted by TheTester View Post
    Running twenty on my bottle #7 cup positive mode 50 on amp dial freq on continuous freq knob on bottom about half way preflow lowest setting contactor to remote. All else is off.
    For aluminum try:
    15 CFH
    AC (not "positive mode")
    HF continuous
    Amperage: You're gonna need WAY more than 50A unless it's aluminum foil

Brush the alum with a dedicated (aluminum only) wire brush before welding until the aluminum feels "grabby" when you brush it.

First thing you should probably do is download and read the manual:

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o352f_mil.pdf

thanks for suggesting the manual but as i said i set the freq gap according to ghe manual. I've read the manual and it is lacking to say the least. In an analogy it tells you how to change your oil but doesn't tell you where the oil plug is or where or if there is a dip stick.

thanks for the direction on aluminum. I will try that.

This still leaves me with no post flow and crappy slag filled welds even on clean mild steel. I will take pics and post them later today as it will paint a better picture than i am explaining.
    thanks again guys
    tester

Really what you want to do is take a picture of the front of your machine, so we can see what exactly you have yours switchs at.