Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default thermal arc 186 ac/dc

Does anyone have any experience with the thermal arc 186 ac/dc tig and stick welder? Just wondering if its a decent machine. Thanks.

I've been trying to ask this same question a few times on here. I haven't had any luck.

This is a Miller forum ...

Do a search at weldingweb dot com.

My buddy bought one. He seems to like it. However, it is made in China not sure how long it will last. The price is right on them.

I have alot of blue machines, but traded my dynasty for a TA Arcmaster 300.

Theres alot on WW.com about the 186 machine. Most people love it. There's some type of problem with the foot pedal that TA is working on. Short of that, there's no complaints. Not out long enough to really know about durability issues.

You can still find TA185's around at the same price as the 186. Better duty cycle, some say it truly puts out 199 amps. A durable proven machine. Most made in Malasia or Japan.

Default Thermal Arc

Quote Originally Posted by scranm View Post
    My buddy bought one. He seems to like it. However, it is made in China not sure how long it will last. The price is right on them.
    The Longevity 200 EX is the same welder with a longer warranty and it is a great welder.

You Get What You Pay For..... let's see how they are in 5years....

my Dynasties are already older than that... and going strong.. no glitches or "issues" to work out...

That pedal lag is NOT minor... I sure would not put up with it...

FYI the TA Arcmaster 185 was an excellent machine made by Sanrex in Japan...it is now out of production.

the 186 is riding in on it's reputation.... but it is chinese with uncertain pedigree

your dime... your problem....
    Last edited by H80N; 07-20-2013 at 10:39 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.mansfield View Post
    The Longevity 200 EX is the same welder with a longer warranty and it is a great welder.
    Plus 1

Quote Originally Posted by darryl.mansfield View Post
    Maybe.... Until you need it serviced....

they have a huge well established service network???

NOPE.....then you are S.O.L......

What most folks do not realize when they look at the "Sweet Price" on that made in Timbuctu welding box .... is what they are NOT getting for that cut rate price...

They are NOT getting an extensive network of experienced, trained service and support people distributed all over the country...(and the world) nor are they getting the parts availability that goes with that..
    the availability of the team of people that actually designed, developed and manufactured the welder... as opposed to the IMPORTER...who is very often "fly by night".... and knows squat.. other than how many units he needs to sell to pay for the next container due in from CHINA

they do get to be the long term beta testers and guinea pigs.... lots more to a welders performance than "shiny fresh out of the box"..... over time little gremlins will pop up...

I hear "Great Welder".....compared to what??. based on What??? first impression?? or long term experience?? ...... how many thousands of hours???
    AND I find it hugely comical that people would come to the MILLER forum.... That they are also NOT paying for... to peddle their wares...

Also interesting is the number of glowing endorsements posted by folks that have only one or very few posts.... trolls or moles??? gotta wonder... that tactic is so common on the welding boards it is transparent..
    Last edited by H80N; 07-21-2013 at 10:31 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know......

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam..

Default thermal arc 186 ac/dc

I have one and haven't had any trouble. Great machine. I haven't noticed trouble with the pedal but have heard of others who have. Pulse is very nice as is the arc force control.. Stick is very stable. It is made overseas but so are many of the components of the blue and red machines. My local shop will handle any problems I may have. A whole lot of bang for the buck. Biggest drawback.....the fan runs 100% of the time. It says so in the literature but still kind of loud and annoying.