Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just remember, your compressor tank is made out of steel as well. If steel was really bad, they wouldn't make the tanks out of them. That pic is likely caused by some huge amount of neglect, or another problem that you are not being told about.

Thats one good bit of advertising you found there!! Thats what the inside of a condensate pipe looks like after being left untreated for about 10years... After working in a facility that utilized over 1000 aggregate HP of air compressors and refrigerated and dessicant driers, some piping being in service of 20+ years, none of our air lines ever looked like that. Most had a minimal amount of surface rust inside from the few times that the driers failed, but I know there is no issue with using black pipe in a properly cared for system. Like Walker had said, the tanks are steel..

Default Shop air lines

Been using 1" sch40 PVC for over 20+ years, no rust and very little condension. Every connection ls glued. I put a saddle strap where quick disconnects are installed and running 175 psi of air pressure with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by GARAGEGADGETS View Post
    Been using 1" sch40 PVC for over 20+ years, no rust and very little condension. Every connection ls glued. I put a saddle strap where quick disconnects are installed and running 175 psi of air pressure with no problems.
    you are brave using PVC. The manufactures of PVC specifically say, NOT FOR Compressed AIR. Hope you have life insurance.

http://www.lascofittings.com/support...pressedAir.asp

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

Using PVC is extremely dangerous. The reason malleable materials like copper and aluminum are used is if your pressure switch and blow off valve fail and the system becomes over pressurized they split. PVC in those conditions explodes, creating shrapnel. I would replace that ASAP, especially if it is your business and you have employees working near them.

Cool

I guess no one has ever seen aluminum white rust from moisture. I agree with the first pics being staged from the manufacture selling the alum tube...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I use galvanized screw pipe, no way I would use pvc.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I guess no one has ever seen aluminum white rust from moisture. I agree with the first pics being staged from the manufacture selling the alum tube...Bob
    I can tell you for a fact that the pipes are not really staged. I mean they are for a commercial, but I work with several 50 HP + air compressors and companies will save money and not put a drier in and you will end up with rust even worse then this. I just got done putting in new copper air lines with the new Rigid Pro press tool which is awesome!

I also have a customer who has all aluminum piping and that has rust in it as well, and that system is only 1 year old with a dryer in it.