Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them

Black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them.
    Seems aluminum piping the air compressor companies are offering is the way to go these days if you are building a new shop or thinking about redoing your airlines. The picture shows a line that was only a few years old. Granted the picture probably depicts a worse case scenario but the science is real. At least a 1/2" air hose strung along a shops' wall on an angle with a filter and water separator on the end won't develop rust and hold moisture. Copper corrodes, stainless has carbon in it that could react to acids over time.

aluminum airline http://www.quincycompressor.com/our-...6#.UcHhB_m1F8E
    Last edited by tackit; 06-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.

How long was that in service ? We demoed out a auto shop with 20 bays in it and at least one drop to hose reel minimum to each. Shop was in service over 20
    years and all pipe was in great shape. Actually brought some home and made gates for farmer.
    That may have been poor install. I never saw anything that bad. That looks more like a steam condensate return line inside.
    Last edited by BD1; 06-19-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    How long was that in service ? We demoed out a auto shop with 20 bays in it and at least one drop to hose reel minimum to each. Shop was in service over 20
    years and all pipe was in great shape. Actually brought some home and made gates for farmer.
    That may have been poor install. I never saw anything that bad. That looks more like a steam condensate return line inside.
    I believe the compressor website said a few years.

http://us.kaeser.com/Products_and_So...iping/pipe.asp
    Last edited by tackit; 06-19-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: correction on length of time to a few years not two years

No kidding? Huh, wonder how many folk out there think through the advertising and see a vendor that says his product is better than sliced bread and all alternatives are junk? Its on the Internet so its gotta a true, right?
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Default black pipe airlines and the crud that develops in them

You need to run with an air dryer in order to limit the internal corrosion on the air lines.

Quote Originally Posted by WyoRoy View Post
    No kidding? Huh, wonder how many folk out there think through the advertising and see a vendor that says his product is better than sliced bread and all alternatives are junk? Its on the Internet so its gotta a true, right?
    I agree with you to a point, but it seems aluminum would have it's advantages over BP. Technology always advances, it never stays the same. I would use it over BP if I was redoing a shop's airlines or building a new one.
    Last edited by tackit; 06-20-2013 at 11:39 AM.

I and all my friends use copper. My friend has had his wood shop on copper for 25+ with zero problems.

I would imagine climate, shop conditions, hours of use and if moisture and water equipment was properly installed on the lines has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't have that much to put up so cost against copper or SS I don't think would be much of a factor. I like the way it connects, with some planning I could easily have mine up in couple hours.

The only problem with the aluminum is it's mucho dinero from what Ive seen
    Jason

Millermatic 135XP
    ThunderboltXL 225/150 AC/DC
    Millermatic 252

I don't need a lot of aluminum piping to do my shop, if I go 10 feet from the compressor make a drop and install a water separator, filter, valve and clean out I'm set ...so I do think cost would be a big concern.